Move My Body vs Chime

Move My Body vs Chime

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
two competing visions of rave. one is folklore, the other was made by a band who blew up but always had a more classic warehouse undercurrent to them.

Last edited:

version

I can't imagine anyone on here voting for it, or even being able to listen to the full thing.

mvuent

Void Dweller
seeing blissblogger's lone silent, loyal vote for chime in the face of the youths' contempt for it is making me want to have a change of heart on it. anyone know of any sets on youtube etc. where its used effectively?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
seeing blissblogger's lone silent, loyal vote for chime in the face of the youths' contempt for it is making me want to have a change of heart on it. anyone know of any sets on youtube etc. where its used effectively?

no it just kills the momentum of any set. maybe a back to 88-89 set but they always play numero uno as well which i am sick of.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey alsso joined in. a fascinating enigma. a structural conservative who is always critical of his own conservatism. we must break him in, somehow.

version

Three people have voted for Chime. Three! This is worse than Liquid Swords overtaking OB4CL.

sadmanbarty

I don’t particularly like either of them, but im getting a faint euphoric thing from chine, whereas the altern-8 just completely falls flat.

The drums are a big problem. Breakbeats in hardcore act as rocket fuel; they propel the music through spacetime at a million miles a second. The break in this is all infantile and clumsy; it has the same air of naïveté and innocence you get in a lot of rap from the time. It sounds like a toy monkey playing toy drums. The 4x4 underneath the break is a bit clunky, it slows it all down too. The track sounds like blue balls; hardcore without the hard. It fails to live up to what it’s trying to do.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was more voting against that boring altern8 tune than in chime's favour.

Move your body would be a wholly different matter.

droid

Weird match up. I think i'll have to go with Chime. Yes, its dated but the euphoria was real at the time. I actually prefer this track from the same record. It has a bit of a Gerald thing going on.

Ive met Paul Hartnoll a few times. Nice guy, though he did promise me a vinyl copy of Orbital green that I never got. Also met Altern 8 twice when they played here. Very unassuming, though their show was laughable, and I think they knew it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don’t particularly like either of them, but im getting a faint euphoric thing from chine, whereas the altern-8 just completely falls flat.

The drums are a big problem. Breakbeats in hardcore act as rocket fuel; they propel the music through spacetime at a million miles a second. The break in this is all infantile and clumsy; it has the same air of naïveté and innocence you get in a lot of rap from the time. It sounds like a toy monkey playing toy drums. The 4x4 underneath the break is a bit clunky, it slows it all down too. The track sounds like blue balls; hardcore without the hard. It fails to live up to what it’s trying to do.

you'd be a terrible music historian :D that's how a lot of 91 hardcore sounds. very primitive and badly produced, toybox drums. precisely love it for that reason.

blissblogger

I like Altern-8 but their tunes are pretty clumsy - their japery (standing for Parliament, using the 4 year old daughter of their label boss to recite E-monster slang, etc etc) at the time puts them a notch ahead of Messiah and Utah Saints, who are even more clumsy.

"Chime" though - sublime. The cascading main riff. The gibbering 303s. The use of the Onedin Theme as stirring orchestral stab. Tingletastic.

The British "Strings of Life", as someone said.

They have a bunch of great tunes, Orbital - "Halycon (and on)", "Belfast" - and they are the rare thing, a techno act that is great live and is also genuinely live.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
further cementing my theory that this is actually a doncaster forum and not a london/essex forum. yes i know orbital were from essex but that tune wouldn't be played at roast 91-92. whereas 2 bad mice and altern8 would.

london massif.

sadmanbarty

The 2 bad mice one’s brilliant. Infinitely better than the orbital one.

The forum would definitely pick tough breakbeat hardcore over something like chimes. That altern8 one was just a bit dull.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like Altern-8 but their tunes are pretty clumsy - their japery (standing for Parliament, using the 4 year old daughter of their label boss to recite E-monster slang, etc etc) at the time puts them a notch ahead of Messiah and Utah Saints, who are even more clumsy.

"Chime" though - sublime. The cascading main riff. The gibbering 303s. The use of the Onedin Theme as stirring orchestral stab. Tingletastic.

The British "Strings of Life", as someone said.

They have a bunch of great tunes, Orbital - "Halycon (and on)", "Belfast" - and they are the rare thing, a techno act that is great live and is also genuinely live.

closetted NME trancer. :D