Reagan Rock and The Cold War.

luka

Hulk Hogan brainwashed me at the age of about 7 or 8 and I was probably right behind the stars and stripes at that time.

This is a good one. Like so many other regressive tendencies it creeps back into the culture under the cover of irony.

luka

Trump is always getting in "trouble" with bands/singers for using their songs at his rallies. It's absolute poison to be associated with him (unless you're kid rock).

I don't think there's that steroidal optimism and confidence that the 80s had nowadays. It's an economic disaster for most people. Even the patriots think it's shit - hence needing to MAGA.

If there's enough Americans to elect trump there's enough trump supporters to support a rock group or two. The big difference is the lack of a Cold War but my assumption is the culture war would act as the substitute. Liberals for commies.

luka

Pathetic, exchanging a nuclear armed global superpower for students with blue hair and a taste for vege burgers admittedly.

luka

It's part of the thing Bannon identified. Liberals own culture and politics is downstream of culture.

So part of the political war is to develop some cultural heft.

luka

It's why I think someone like Colby Colvington is interesting. Not a cultural figure per se, not even hugely famous, but playing a kind of more obnoxious version of Hulk Hogan, unlike Hulk, it's the divisiveness of Trump and red cap which is relished and insisted upon. There's no children's entertainer aspect. Just pure vitriol, chauvinism and race hatred.

Hulk might have wanted to suplex commies but the Colby position is about the culture war within America. About winding up liberals. A bratty sense of entitlement. Being a bad winner.

Last edited:

luka

Hoping to get Leo lured into this thread. The Reagan era was his heyday. He can give us first hand accounts. Correct any misapprehensions.

kumar

Grunge is of course best understood as the inevitable response to the fall of the Soviet Union. Boeings headquarters were based there and the northwest defense industry had huge economic importance during the Cold War, the malaise and misery of the music that followed expresses the financial hardships and identity crises that would accompany the victory which reagan-rock ensured.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there's that body building aesthetic i'd associate with this stuff. "push it to the limit" speaks to that iron pumping mentality
1) that was written + produced by Giorgio Moroder, as European a person as has ever lived

2) it could not remotely be called rock; it's a toned-down ca. 1984 charts friendly version of the hi-NRG end of post-disco

3) America isn't a country of bodybuilders, nor is bodybuilding particularly American

luka

Should be perfect for you. It's got all your favourite things. Rock. America. Political history.

luka

yall have these fantasy approximations of the U.S. and Americans that make me laugh

Well we've never been there. We just consume the fantasies that Americans make about themselves. On telly, in music and at the cinema. What do you expect!

sadmanbarty

yall have these fantasy approximations of the U.S. and Americans that make me laugh

We’re being playful. We’re being silly. We’re shoe horningthong and misrepresenting then to get ideas across. “Factual disingenuousness in pursuit of emotional honesty”. They’re fun. Don’t take them to heart. I don’t literally think Americans “aren’t real humans” or whatever else I’ve said in the past. They’re just ways of communicating rich ideas economically.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
hippies giving way to yuppies, as symbolized by Jerry Rubin (the Yippie founder turned stockbroker and eventually multilevel marketing hustler)

sadmanbarty

If you qualify what you say, you end up saying nothing. You blunt it and make it tepid. There are contexts where such discourse is appropriate (politica for example) and others where it’s a terrible idea (talking about art for instance)