Thread: Traces of Others

Default Traces of Others

I'm reading a secondhand book atm and it's filled with annotations, but little to no text. One of the previous owners has just drawn brackets to the side of certain passages in pencil. I was sat reading it earlier and was suddenly overcome with the sense of knowing absolutely nothing about them. I don't know where they're from, who they are, why they highlighted these particular passages or what they thought about them. All I have to go on are these brackets.

Anyone found anything interesting in pre-owned stuff? Messages etc? One of my mates claimed he found a pubic hair in a book, but it was probably just a regular hair.

I've got a copy of Heart of Darkness from a charity shop that someone's written a message in.

Dearest Ernest,

Something to keep you busy while I dig out Conrad's full masterpiece. I know it's somewhere in the house!

Love you lots,

Amy

xxx

i'm reading dubliners at the moment and you can clearly see it had gone around quite a few times already. different annotations, made by different kind of people. one of them wrote her name on the first page and i couldn't help myself googling it. it didn't turn up any results though. afterwards i felt weird for doing so. i guess i was just hoping maybe it would turn out to be someone living in my street or something and it could become a beautiful love story.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

I have my granddad's copy of Dubliners. No annotations though.

Any scrutiny and exploration of intimate aspects of other peoples lives outside what they voluntarily present is fascinating