Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Waste Land (1922)

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    'Stetson!
    'You who were with me in the ships at Mylae.'
    This idea of multiple, stacked identities is in Ulysses too, sort of. It's also in the anamnesis of Phillip K Dick, when he sees the ichthys round the woman's neck.

I tell you one thing I did like about it was how he used the phrase "brown fog" twice bad didn't tart it up to black or golden or anything. Brown is the right choice of word.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catalog For This Useful Post:

'and' not 'bad' frigging autocorrect

Quote Originally Posted by catalog View Post
    I tell you one thing I did like about it was how he used the phrase "brown fog" twice bad didn't tart it up to black or golden or anything. Brown is the right choice of word.
    London is often brown. Do any of the London lads remember Thursday? That was an Unreal City day. Stratus opacus. Brown sky. Sun locked out. Nothing solid.

An idea I picked up from another modernist epic, the anathemata, is that ritual collapses time and identity in this way too.

That every celebrant of the ritual is the same person.

This later became the idea that there is only one Writer and only one Reader.

Brown is the colour of the ground. There is no such thing as brown light. It is physical material only. It is what you get (instead of white) when you mix all the other colours together. It is also the colour of all people ie whitest white person is brown, blackest black person is brown.