Later in red and white cans.

catalog

found a new one

1200px-O%C5%BEujsko_Otok_Rab_-_June_2011.jpg

although the can was very disappointingly yellow... very similar to perla

ozujsko-pivo-limenka-1.png

woops

is not like other people
i never go for the macho looking cans, like warka, or warka strong, or lech which has a stud-speckled "sports can" as i like to imagine it. i've just had 2 cans of debowe by the way, which can design combines the mighty oak (cos it's strong - 7%) with a colour not dissimilar to the colour of fag packets in the uk.

polish beer is either joyful dancing people in polish national dress, or perla green, or obliteration.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There are two Portuguese beers. I hate them both. Even though I agree that all beers essentially taste the same and Superbock is no exception, it still tastes worse than almost any other beer. It is Portugal's best beer.

image.jpg

Although, interestingly (stretching the definition of that word to its very limits if not beyond), yesterday I was talking to my friend Aidan who is from Australia. He moved to Portugal around the same time as me and he also hates Portuguese beer - however we both agreed that simply by being forced to drink it all the time our taste buds have been bludgeoned into submission and now we don't hate it as much as we used to. This was a difficult admission for me to make, there is no way I would have said it if Aidan hadn't had the courage to speak out first. Though in fairness I don't think that I hadn't even noticed it myself, it had crept up on me so insidiously.

woops

is not like other people
There are two Portuguese beers. I hate them both. Even though I agree that all beers essentially taste the same and Superbock is no exception, it still tastes worse than almost any other beer. It is Portugal's best beer.

image.jpg

Although, interestingly (stretching the definition of that word to its very limits if not beyond), yesterday I was talking to my friend Aidan who is from Australia. He moved to Portugal around the same time as me and he also hates Portuguese beer - however we both agreed that simply by being forced to drink it all the time our taste buds have been bludgeoned into submission and now we don't hate it as much as we used to. This was a difficult admission for me to make, there is no way I would have said it if Aidan hadn't had the courage to speak out first. Though in fairness I don't think that I hadn't even noticed it myself, it had crept up on me so insidiously.
didn't mind either of them when i was out there

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's cos your taste buds have been utterly destroyed by constantly smoking those revolting roll-ups. I think you have to absent yourself from any debate that is predicated on being able to taste things. At the very least you owe it to to mention your condition when you give this sort of opinion or else people who don't know about it might take your advice seriously and fuck knows what could happen to them if they are a normal person without your cast iron constitution.

Leo

image.jpg

never had super bock but sagres is better (or surely no worse) than Budweiser, Lite and a bunch of other US mega brands.

also, does Portugal ban foreign beers from entering the market? why can't you get import beer from anywhere else?

luka

good question. maybe he likes idling at corner cafes where theres a poster of a pretty portugese pop star from the 1980s on the wall, a pinball machine in the corner, free peanuts and the only beer they sell is sagres?

luka

sounds pretty good. i watched a film set in bulgaria the other day and that all they basically seem to do over there, it looks great

Leo

it's the romantic myth of how Europeans live, but then you go to Portugal or Spain and find it's actually true.

Leo

when we were kids, we thought Heineken was top shelf, the best of the best. American beers were all in cans or brown bottles, heinies were imported, and in green bottles! you were cool Is you drank them, or it was a special occasion.

had a bottle recently and it's kind of lame.

IdleRich

IdleRich
also, does Portugal ban foreign beers from entering the market? why can't you get import beer from anywhere else?
You can of course but most people don't drink em. If you go in any corner shop you got a fridge full of Sagres and Superbock with minis, imperial, ltires, two different sizes of cans.... and maybe there will also be a couple of cans of, I dunno, Heineken, stuck at the back of the fridge where they have been for two years, untouched. But certainly if you go in a decent big supermarket such as LeClerc they will have a load of import ones, but then, even there, it's still one shelf with maybe twenty different beers, but really they only have a couple of bottles of each. And the other day we were at MixMart which is a small supermarket with mainly Slavic stuff, I think it's Ukrainian owned but Liza always stocks up on Russian beers ther
Also Lidl and Audi both have their own brand ones which cost 50c for a small can and I actually like those much more, it's nice to get a six pack of those and they just slip down without you noticing.
But the main thing, if you're out with people, say you just wanna have a beer at one of the miradors or something like that and someone nips off to the offie they always come back with Sagres, if you go to someone's house after a club then everyone loads up on those litre bottles of Sagres or Superbock, fair enough they are good value if there is a load of you.
In fact there is one called Coruja which means Owl in Portuguese and it's kinda like a craft beer I guess, they are pushing that quite aggressively with loads of adverts in bars and sponsorship. Plus in Beato there is a brewery bar called Musa which has craft beers I think. So all these things exist but I bet they make up about one percent of what is drunk. Don't quote that statistic because I just made it up but that is how it feels.

eb749f0690485fb20e30116130263241.jpg

Obviously that's not a red one but it's THE craft lager they have.