Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Witness the Fitness

im just saying going to the gym and taking pictures of yourself is probably the dominant cultural expression of the era. YouTube won't stop suggesting fitness videos to me. Because social media and the non stop image bombardment. And online dating and whatever. I'm more into music and stuff like that. Whether it's the revenge of nerds or of chads it's all the same because both groups have been and are necessarily creatively barren.

20th century capitalism had to work overtime to convince people that they're not enough and keep the system going, but in the 21stC in social media it has found the perfect vehicle for people imprisoning themselves in an endless cycle of feeling like they don't measure up. i imagine most people have elements of a narcissistic personality disorder at this stage.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Do you recognise it in yourself baboon?

Definitely, in so many ways, and I don't even engage with social media that much.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

There's something about seeking-approbation-to-feed-narcissism becoming confused with real contact with other human beings. Which is why the 'like' button here split opinion so much. I quite like it myself, because I think it represents actual contact and appreciation from within a small community, but I get the counterargument too.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    There's something about seeking-approbation-to-feed-narcissism becoming confused with real contact with other human beings. Which is why the 'like' button here split opinion so much. I quite like it myself, because I think it represents actual contact and appreciation from within a small community, but I get the counterargument too.
    It gets tricky as the cynical have always framed all social interaction as being about receiving approbation (and meeting other selfish needs). I don't buy into that. But the lines are always blurred.

Reward based shit
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Don't buy into that at all either, but yes there is a blurred line and social media takes advantage of that. Difference between a good meal and fast food yada yada

And a degree of narcissism is healthy and necessary for good functioning

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Reward based shit
    This is what my gamification thread was about.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    It would really be a lot more authentically Dissensian to have a 'dislike' button (and no 'like' button), I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

The bit in this where he explains what deadlifting 500kg did to his body is fucked.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post: