luka

im just saying going to the gym and taking pictures of yourself is probably the dominant cultural expression of the era. YouTube won't stop suggesting fitness videos to me. Because social media and the non stop image bombardment. And online dating and whatever. I'm more into music and stuff like that. Whether it's the revenge of nerds or of chads it's all the same because both groups have been and are necessarily creatively barren.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
20th century capitalism had to work overtime to convince people that they're not enough and keep the system going, but in the 21stC in social media it has found the perfect vehicle for people imprisoning themselves in an endless cycle of feeling like they don't measure up. i imagine most people have elements of a narcissistic personality disorder at this stage.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's something about seeking-approbation-to-feed-narcissism becoming confused with real contact with other human beings. Which is why the 'like' button here split opinion so much. I quite like it myself, because I think it represents actual contact and appreciation from within a small community, but I get the counterargument too.

luka

There's something about seeking-approbation-to-feed-narcissism becoming confused with real contact with other human beings. Which is why the 'like' button here split opinion so much. I quite like it myself, because I think it represents actual contact and appreciation from within a small community, but I get the counterargument too.

It gets tricky as the cynical have always framed all social interaction as being about receiving approbation (and meeting other selfish needs). I don't buy into that. But the lines are always blurred.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Don't buy into that at all either, but yes there is a blurred line and social media takes advantage of that. Difference between a good meal and fast food yada yada

And a degree of narcissism is healthy and necessary for good functioning

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

It would really be a lot more authentically Dissensian to have a 'dislike' button (and no 'like' button), I think.

catalog

I did something called 'body combat' off a video yesterday, I can't remember the guy's name, Les Paul? Can't be right. Anyway, it's like martial arts exercise. These guys are gonna do well out the virus I think

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've been doing the Joe Wickes PE thing in the morning. I really like it. He's so perfect for Britain rn, a superfit cheery geezer. Russell Brand in lycra.

luka

One of the reasons I'm glad of this plague holiday is my body is completely broken after three years of sitting hunched behind a typewriter. I want to work some of the kinks out if I can.

Leo

in three week of lockdown, vegetarian food and rowing, I've lost 6 pounds. I've always been pretty thin but developed a bit of a gut, as one does in later years. that's still visible but almost gone, trousers actually starting to slide down a little.

luka

Do you think these would be good?

I feel like I should try and do some sort of exercise while this lasts. Make some kind of sustained assault on my very deeply engrained lethargy and indolence.