Page 116 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 2047

Thread: Wuhan Killer Sneeze (thanks Tea)

like probably a lot of it is smart $/people/firms seeing a chance to make a quick profit off dumber $ reassured by Trump/whatever

but I suspect part of it is also legit reassurance for even the smart $ that, OK, we're not going to be in Mad Max territory

like I don't even really follow the market closely, comparatively

but for weeks now people have already been trying to figure out where the opportunities will be coming out of this. and there will be opportunities.

obviously kinda grotesque to say when there are about to be a fucking ton of dead people, but true.

if you can compartmentalize it away from the human suffering, there's perversely something reassuring in the knowledge that people are still looking to make a buck.

like the incentives in our society are deeply, deeply fucked up, but at least there will still be a society, kinda feeling

a friend shared this...

A friend in Berlin checked in about Gabi Delgado's passing. Apparently, he died in Spain of the flu, not the coronavirus. They would not treat him because they said he had tested negative for Corona!! Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    a friend shared this...
    Yeah, the total death toll from all this surely has to include people who've not died of covid-19, but have died from diseases or injuries they couldn't get treatment for, because it's all-hands-on-deck for covid-19.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

To be clear I think that the markets are reacting genuinely to the stimulus but less so to the promise of an open country by Easter.
    But I don't follow it closely at all (and I never traded stocks except as a hedge against options and futures and obviously nothing that Luka said about me above is true).

10 more dead here, rate of infection slowing. Fatality rate still at 0.6%.

Not true in the literal sense perhaps

I don't think Droid would lie about that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    To be clear I think that the markets are reacting genuinely to the stimulus but less so to the promise of an open country by Easter.
    yeah 100% on the same page

anyone who's not an idiot or delusional knows the Easter thing is nonsense. there are a lot of stupid people tho.

tbf, it's not always that they're stupid

the downside of hope - if not tempered by reality - is that it can sometimes make people who aren't stupid believe stupid things

I've run into it at work. owners or managers at clients who are hanging into this delusion that we'll be back to normal by x date.

I think they just want it so badly to be true that they convince themselves it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I never traded stocks except as a hedge against options and futures...
    I picture Rich looking like the Monopoly Man, bulging sack of greenbacks flung over his shoulder.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I picture Rich looking like the Monopoly Man, bulging sack of greenbacks flung over his shoulder.
    image.jpeg

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back....

EUETbGMXgAgORZC.jpg

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comelately For This Useful Post:

Coronavirus: Mexicans demand crackdown on Americans crossing the border.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Are you not familiar with my ouvere?!!

Frightening numbers from the US today... passed the other countries and look as though they gonna leave them way behind. You can actually see how the Repub tactics change as each bit of news appears... today the main thing is to insist that China is lying about the number of infected they have and so US isn't really number one. Of course it's a distraction from the fact that however many China has the US growth rate (and still no serious response that I see from on high) is fucking disastrous. Another line is "Well death rate is below Italy" or whatever "Shows how good our health system is" - maddening the way they swing into action on the message but do fuck all actual stuff behind it.