Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... lockdown ends here at midnight on Sunday. Police been told to enforce everything super strict today and tomorrow - road blocks to stop you travelling from one borough to another etc - which is necessary I guess cos obviously everyone would go demob crazy I guess. Especially cos it's gonna be 31c tomorrow.
Everyone I speak to is kinda worried though about whether it's the right move...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Saw some survey thing saying that four out of five in the UK are AGAINST coming out of the lockdown at this point. Surprising sensible (if true) from the population that voted for Brexit and Johnson... interesting though cos from reading the media from abroad I got the impression that the population was raring to get back out there and start earning for their bosses. But is UK actually gonna get this righter than Portual - at the moment around 1000 people have died here in total, would be terrible if it gets fucked up now.
I also read that one of BJ's exes has been in the news saying that bosses want the country to open up, not for economic reasons so much, but in fact cos they all hate their wives and are desperate to get back to their mistresses whom they haven't seen for ages.

mixed_biscuits

It's hardly surprising that Brits are reluctant to leave lockdown, seeing as they've been beaten over the head with mind-numbingly repetitive messaging asserting the (assumed) efficacy of lockdown against a backdrop of unrelenting doom and gloom from the underinformed and inevitably sensationalist papers. At the very least, many wouldn't have the emotional energy to get going again at the moment.

Meanwhile Sweden refuses to do anything but linear growth and seems to be approaching its peak, whereupon it will be far easier for them to make confident predictions and plan than for those countries that have created the unprecedentedly artificial conditions of lockdown.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
At the very least, many wouldn't have the emotional energy to get going again at the moment.
This I understand. I think a lot of people here are realising that it won't be straight back to life as normal - more likely they will need to work twice as hard as before, with extra complications, for less money... it's going to be a kind of half way house, maybe the worst of both worlds, with fun curtailed and lie-ins cancelled. It can't be avoided I'm sure but that doesn't make it easier to face up to.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Gove speaks very fast but he just admitted the government produced 76,496 tests yesterday, you don't need to be Einstein to know this is below the 100,000 target
So was it they spent ages ramping the tests up to a level where (if they fiddled it to include posted tests) they could claim to be above 100k for one day.... and then it quickly tailed off to way below that level again (even with the fiddle)..

IdleRich

IdleRich
Now they are announcing everywhere that UK has officially overtaken Italy and has the highest number of deaths from C19 in Europe. In fact than everywhere in the world except for the US. What a fucking shambles - and so embarrassing the way that the leadership and the press watched it happening for ages in Italy and did absolutely fuck all except shake their heads patronisingly and talk about how they had messed it up (probably because of their hot-blooded Latin temperament eating garlic and watching football all the time) but thankfully God's own people would never let it happen to the UK cos we're just too competent and sensible.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But this 32k number they're reporting is the official number not the FT calculation right? Why has it jumped so much?

droid

Yeah, that's the official number. I think the jump is cos they started counting nursing & retirement home deaths.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So a week or two ago they suddenly jumped it by 4k to correct for that - will it be a regular occurrence?

I think that was a one-off, unless they're going to start including deaths of diagnosed patients at home and in hospices. But there must be tons of people dying of it without being diagnosed at all, which I expect accounts for most of the difference between total excess deaths and the official covid-19 deaths, even with care home deaths included (which was over a factor of 2 for the week ending 24 April).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or that's what all the papers etc are reporting at least... worldometer says 693 'only' today... still just enough to take UK into that coveted no.1 spot but quite a discrepancy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In other news...

The Trump administration is reportedly looking to wind down the coronavirus task force in the coming weeks, even as the rate of new infections continues to rise across most of the US.
I guess their work is done.... though don't worry if you think there is more to be done cos

A group led by Jared Kushner, Mr Trump?s son-in-law and senior adviser, has been functioning as something of a shadow task force. That group is likely to continue working
Also, UK gov did about 80k tests today. Basically they promised 100k per day by the end of April... on the 30th of that month they grossly inflated the number of tests performed to pretend that they had done 120k tests but as that a) wasn't really true and b) the tests per day fell back way below their target their next day and have stayed there, there is no way that they can be said to have met their own (completely arbitrary) target. But that doesn't matter cos the beeb reported it as met on the 30th and have now forgotten about it... same as they seem to have forgotten UK now moving up the death charts. I guess they had more important stuff to report on than our joke of our government killing its citizens at an unbelievable rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.