Status
Not open for further replies.

sufi

lala
the policy will be dropped, with or without the government.
Hopefully the government will go down too. :)

https://medium.com/insurge-intellig...955a724d2?source=---------4------------------ Nafeez Ahmed is really good on this so far.

The stats are powerful and mesmerising, but there is necessarily a lot of extrapolation based on minimal actual verified numbers, and the situation is changing daily,
i found blogs from Italy very affecting e.g. https://jasminatesanovic.wordpress.com/2020/03/12/corona-diaries/

sufi

lala
That does make the mutual aid efforts seem quite complicated then, there’s one in my area but I’ll be very wary of going near elderly people for the time being
I think that they are absolutely crucial, given our government's lack of action, and might hopefully evolve into a systematic support provision which will be needed when we all get properly locked down (whether voluntarily or by order).
Like what they have in Wuhan, people whose jobs are no longer viable are delivering food parcels. But if course that must involve measures to avoid transmitting.

john eden

male pale and stale
The mutual aid groups are more about initial contact by postcard through the door and then maybe drop offs left a the door rather than face to face stuff.

Leo

It's important to remain aware but between this thread and the trump one, dissensus has become pretty depressing lately. just a reflection of reality, I know, but nonetheless. both of those topics are all you see on TV and read online all day, used to be nice to come here as an escape from the anxiety. for my own sanity, I might just limit my browsing to COTD and DOTD for awhile.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was kinda hoping that everyone being at home would cause a boom in the "what are you reading now" and "films you would recommend" threads but it feels as though everyone is just watching the news on telly while constantly clicking update on the coronavirus part of their chosen news website.

version

Yeah, I keep meaning to do some exercise or read but don't really have the motivation to do either. It's difficult to muster the enthusiasm to do anything other than sit there scrolling through news feeds, eyes glazing over. I can barely hold a conversation or think of anything to say.

version

I've found Trump and Brexit incredibly draining but at least you can turn them off with the news. You can't really get away from this. You can duck the news but you're still gonna be washing your hands, businesses are still going to be closed, the footy, basketball etc suspended.

version

A bunch of people on Reddit are reading Camus, The Plague. Maybe I should finally read my copy too.

:crylarf:

version

I guess this is the closest the majority of people in the West will have been to living under wartime(ish) conditions if it gets as bad as predicted. Strange thought.

sufi

lala
It's important to remain aware but between this thread and the trump one, dissensus has become pretty depressing lately. just a reflection of reality, I know, but nonetheless. both of those topics are all you see on TV and read online all day, used to be nice to come here as an escape from the anxiety. for my own sanity, I might just limit my browsing to COTD and DOTD for awhile.

:love: This is such a good point - i found myself up to my media toxic limit a day or 2 back - we need to look after our brains as well as our lungs.

Seems like online communities could be very useful in supporting each other - this place is special & i do feel like the info here is better than elsewhere and that we are a good group (despite the occasiconal disgreements ❌), so i'm happy to be able to discuss these stressful topics here but it's good to have some breaks
good call Leonard

i spoke to luke the other day he's good btw X

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks, this is useful. Pretty much what Im doing now tbh,
minimal leaving the house. Hope your family and friends are Ok.

Letter written by 250ish prominent scientists saying that Johnsons strategy is insane, and social distancing is needed right now. Cant recall if they mentioned the insanity of stopping testing too.

Yes, absolutely.
If you are not at this point, you are joining Boris in throwing the vulnerable under the bus, and for no clear reason.
The government have lost the plot so we need to look after each other now, and not spread this thing around if we can possibly avoid it.

I don't accept that we should wait to act becuse of some ill-defined future situation about fatigue, or some bullshit about the herd. That is nasty white exceptionalism mixed with denial and is not sustainable - the policy will be dropped, with or without the government.

Because you can transmit before you have symptoms Everybody should be behaving as if they have it already. That imo is the only responsible & ethical position to take.

I have close family members in isolation on doctor's orders, and a friend whose whole family have already been in isolation for 2 weeks already since travelling from Italy, and have been waiting for test results over a week now :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.