Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I understand the scepticism with China's numbers, but presumably they do have it under some kind of control now whatever the numbers were, else why would they be reducing the lockdowns? Or are people suggesting that that is not true either?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
you would want to keep your mobile running if you werve alive
what if you can't pay for it because you're not working?

and, do those numbers distinguish business from personal accounts? if businesses are shutting down, they'll stop paying for work phones.

or censorship, as droid suggests

and so on

not saying it tells you nothing, but it seems flimsy as a way of estimating death totals without more exact data

padraig (u.s.)

I just assume the numbers the Chinese authorities release to the world are nonsense

but equally, they would never start easing restrictions unless their actual, internal numbers supported them doing it

catalog

Does anyone know details of the Chinese quarantine tactics? I assume much more Draconian and effective than what Europe is doing?

I understand the scepticism with China's numbers, but presumably they do have it under some kind of control now whatever the numbers were, else why would they be reducing the lockdowns? Or are people suggesting that that is not true either?

What if increse in cases is static because they've stopped testing? They no more have it under control than Italy but have to keep up appearances?

Been looking for weibo user data, but not easy to find

padraig (u.s.)

even if they are cooking the books, it's entirely feasible/likely China did much, much better - for now - than most of the West (and possibly, world will)

they were prepared, locked things down far more stringently and at a much earlier stage, had a massive response once they released the severity

also, it's entirely feasible/likely that they did much, much better - for now - than most of the West (and possibly, world will)

they were prepared, locked things down far more stringently and at a much earlier stage, had a massive response once they released the severity

I bet they've been really busy cleaning house under the cover of this. Has anyone checked on the Uighurs lately?

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

They no more have it under control than Italy but have to keep up appearances?
virtually no new cases is already keeping appearances. it looks like a dictator winning an election with 98% of the vote.

but I strongly doubt they'd let people out if they didn't think they could get away with it. they might be wrong, but that's their true belief.

version

My mate's been in China since last summer. I spoke to him a couple of days ago and he said he was mostly bored but glad he was there and not here. I dunno how closely they monitor foreign nationals though, perhaps he's scared of criticising them online.

padraig (u.s.)

as I said above, one of the many lessons learned from this is that virtually no level of distrust for the Chinese govt is too much

still seems completely insane to just say oh yeah guys Wuhan is great everyone back to work if they were still dealing with tens/hundreds of thousands of new cases

virtually no new cases is already keeping appearances. it looks like a dictator winning an election with 98% of the vote.

but I strongly doubt they'd let people out if they didn't think they could get away with it. they might be wrong, but that's their true belief.

Potemkin releases, fits the nationalist narrative. China has prevailed! The party got us through this! No need to remove the party

That video of medics removing their masks and smiling this week was encouraging but could have been anywhere.

I hope they have got a grip on it for all our sakes.

padraig (u.s.)

Potemkin releases, fits the nationalist narrative. China has prevailed! The party got us through this! No need to remove the party
I don't doubt that anything they release is heavily propagandized, distorted for maximum advantage, etc

just that they clearly knew how serious this was and reacted accordingly (while simultaneously downplaying that as much as possible to the world)

and not taking easing of restrictions equally seriously wouldn't be in line with that previous behavior

I don't doubt that anything they release is heavily propagandized, distorted for maximum advantage, etc

just that they clearly knew how serious this was and reacted accordingly (while simultaneously downplaying that as much as possible to the world)

and not taking easing of restrictions equally seriously wouldn't be in line with that previous behavior

First case may have been as early as November and as late as mid January they were arresting people for "spreading rumours" and denying human transmissibility, backed up by the WHO.

Had they locked down earlier we would not have had thousands of Chinese workers returning to their jobs in Northern Italian textile factories.

Status
Not open for further replies.