Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
from what I've read it's possibly more likely that Iran was where this pandemic truly lost possibility of being somewhat contained on the global level

tons of travel to and from China, early onset compared to the rest of the world, govt absolutely refused to take it seriously til too late

another place we'll never get remotely accurate case or death numbers from

padraig (u.s.)

as late as mid January they were arresting people for "spreading rumours" and denying human transmissibility
there's propaganda vs actual response. the latter was obviously very serious.

this is a pointless thing to argue about anyway, tbh. either they have it under control or they don't.

whether or not we begin/continue to see new case/death #s drop as time goes on in other countries that have locked down on will tell us more.

padraig (u.s.)

They (who) should have banned international air travel as soon as they knew it was gna spread
the who doesn't have the power to actually tell anyone to do anything, let alone ban international air travel.

one thing we've definitely seen is that when it comes to the true sharp end, it's still all national governments and borders.

we're also seeing the limitations (or, uselessness) of international bodies without any actual power to do anything, but that shouldn't be news to anyone.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Downing Street has denied claims in the French press that Prime Minister Boris Johnson told pubs and restaurants to close from Friday night due to a demand from French President Emmanuel Macron for the UK to apply a more stringent shutdown.
However, it can be established that the call did take place on Friday. French political sources also told the BBC that President Macron was ready to close the border with the UK on Friday.
"It was going to happen, we were all set up for it," said one.
Early last week, the French Prime Minister Édouard Philippe, also singled out the UK for what he referred to as "avoiding containment measures" around the coronavirus pandemic.
In a television interview, he said: "It goes without saying that if neighbouring states, such as UK, spend too long continuing to avoid these containment measures, then we'd have difficulty accepting British nationals who move freely in their own country, and then come to ours.""
Hmmm, who to believe on this one?

luka

Bizarre to lock everyone down but let people swan in from other countries though isn't it? I mean, it doesn't really add up.

luka

Everyone in Britain and France has to sit in their rooms and think about what they've done... unless they happen to want to cross an international border

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I mean do you believe Macron when he says that him making that clear pressured Johnson into changing UK policy? Or do you believe the guy who is famous for lying all the time when he denies it?

catalog

the who doesn't have the power to actually tell anyone to do anything, let alone ban international air travel.

one thing we've definitely seen is that when it comes to the true sharp end, it's still all national governments and borders.

we're also seeing the limitations (or, uselessness) of international bodies without any actual power to do anything, but that shouldn't be news to anyone.

Yeah this is very noticeable and true. All the country charts like Eurovision or something. And we're supposed to be one world or something. Could not be more apparent how defining the state still is

IdleRich

IdleRich
But I think that the point that's being made here is that it's often said how companies and rich individuals are more powerful than governments and basically control the world - but now we see that in a crisis it's countries that are pulling up the drawbridge and so on, companies (OK LVMH are making masks or whatever) aren't really a part of the conversation. I don't think that this necessarily proves the hypothesis wrong however, I think that multinationals are beyond government control and more powerful in some ways, it's just that they aren't designed to help now so have gone missing. Basically - as usual - it's the worst of both worlds.

droid

When you look at the list of recent first cases from various countries, they're nearly all people who've travelled from the UK.

droid

I can understand the impulse to get out, or to get home, but TBH Im just as worried about giving this to someone and killing them as I am then getting it and dying.

At least you dont have to live with the latter for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.