Status
Not open for further replies.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
no one take ashes literally/seriously, please. just poetic license. pretend I just said "aftermath" instead. that's a neutral term.

luka

What my schizophrenic-intuitive circuits are Giving me is, as I said last night, a sense that something is being prepared behind the scenes.A change in the relationship between citizen and state for one. A change in the economic model. Perhaps also a change in industry and production. Really very huge changes. The end of capitalism as we know it. That's the raw uncensored message from those circuits.

And that comes in a paranoid and a starry eyed model. One is authoriatarian the other utopian.

What are other people picking up from their schizo antennae?

droid

In the death of grass, the UK government starts nuking cities once all the crops fail to prevent complete chaos and collapse. That's utilitarianism. We're nowhere close to that. Of course there are serious economic concerns, but the 'inconvenience' argument is, frankly, nauseating.

We have the capacity and resources to deal with this without condemning tens of millions. Death is final, but our economic systems are constructs which can and will change radically in different circumstances.

We are seeing the beginning of conceptual transformation on the personal, local, national and international level. Certain things can no longer be ignored.

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm not advocating reducing everything to ashes! I just think societies have a duty of care towards the vulnerable and abandoning that is dangerous.

That's cute, but our long-term ability to do that is almost certainly dependent on letting go of it now. It's not without danger but what is?

droid

1 - I don't think this is actually true to the extent you believe it to be true

2 - recent evidence points overwhelmingly to bad outcomes

1. Well. Let's wait and see. UBI, nationalisation, the 'magic money' tree, value of low paid workers, the necessity of consumption, travel, commuting, the utility of 'experts' etc... all being re-evaluated daily.

2. Depends on locale. In the US, Im sorry to say that this may be true.

luka

Cute, yeah. I am very suspicious of this macho tone of yours comelately. youve got that emotional-erotic desire to 'make hard choices' 'necessary sacrifices' etc.

luka

Hard choices and sacrifices which, needless to say, always fall on the vulnerable. And not to you, the logic man bodybuilder with a philosophy badge of achievement and a tub of protein supplement.

droid

guys, no one's making an "inconvenience" argument. it's a fucking straw man, please stop with it.

Im not going to quote it, but comelately literally made the inconvenience argument a few days ago and recently revived it. Thats what Im responding to.

comelately

Wild Horses
There's a reason you're not going to quote it

How many young people's lives should we destroy so that sickly people don't get claimed by this infection and live on a little while with relatively low quality of life?

"Literally"

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
UBI, nationalisation, the 'magic money' tree, value of low paid workers, the necessity of consumption, travel, commuting, the utility of 'experts' etc
some of these may hold true. things have unexpected effects. some will be positive. I always bring up the rise in standards of living post-Black Death.

some decrease in travel and commuting as as the shift toward remote working, learning, etc accelerates, seem likely

possibly consumption as well, though whether that's more because people are consciously reducing it, or no one has any $$, remains to be seen

a higher valuation of lowly-paid workers, I seriously doubt - if anything, a greater shift toward automation as rapidly as technology allows

definitely not a decrease in a reliance on experts. this is totally a crisis of technocrats - public health officials, virologists, epidemiologists, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.