Page 66 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Wuhan Killer Sneeze (thanks Tea)

Seems to be a relatlvely new development in politics that whenever there is a choice between doing the right thing and the politically popular choice you can completely assume that they will go for the latter. I probably have rose-tinted glasses about the past but surely there were times when leaders actually risked their chance of winning elections by putting the people they were leading first... they actually wanted to do something beyond gaining power as an absolute goal?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Some people will get zero aid and zero sympathy. Just left to die.
    sure. see other thread where I speculated on what happens if this really gets loose in developing nations.

being in New York or London beats being in prison or a refugee camp under virtually any circumstances.

That's definitely one thing we can agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    it's amazing how reminiscent the UK situation is of perhaps not the Black Death, but the later recurring lesser (but still deadly) outbreaks of plague

everyone who can flees for the country, everyone else shuts themselves inside. very Tudor-era.
    Except in the Tudor plague era there (probably) wasn't a third category of thousands of insane fuckers going to street food markets as if it was 2019.

Dunno if anyone's seen Bait, but the news stories about rich people fleeing to Cornwall either makes that seem instantly out of date or terribly relevant. But now they're stealing your health system and your food, not just your housing.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 22-03-2020 at 07:58 PM.

"Contagion changed its former slow and languid pace, and having, as it were, got master of all, the number of deaths increased from three thousand to a peak of eight thousand per week.'

Daniel Defoe. Journal of the Plague Year

image.jpeg

I think that someone mentioned that Rand Paul has tested positive... not sure attention was drawn to the irony that last week his father Ron wrote a piece entitled "The Coronavirus Hoax".

He's makes a good point - someone was wrong one so this could be wrong.

Ah actually though he's talking about the swingeing measures lasting for two years though... not just the mooted immediate lockdown.

Or he's kinda conflating the two things... to me I think it's completely possible to think that there should be an immediate lockdown (closing of bars and schools etc a curfew I dunno) and have a problem with the whole of parliament nodding through a load of draconian measures that will be in place for two years, by counting those as one thing he's making a mess of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    I think that someone mentioned that Rand Paul has tested positive... not sure attention was drawn to the irony that last week his father Ron wrote a piece entitled "The Coronavirus Hoax".
    It's a pretty convincing hoax, you gotta admit.

I mean that just goes to show the level of devilish cunning we're dealing with.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Peter Hitchens anyone?
    No ta, I've just eaten.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Except in the Tudor plague era there (probably) wasn't a third category of thousands of insane fuckers going to street food markets
    probably not. tho one imagines the urban poor of London stuck getting on as best they could. the outbreak in 1563 killed ~1/3 of Londoners.

periodic plague outbreaks seem to have become a more or less just a fact of life, a lurking doom.

there's the famous brief/oblique plague reference in Romeo + Juliet

in potentially good (or less bad) news, worldometers has dropped the # of reported new NY cases today by like 8k. no idea which # is right.

which would still leave at 5k new cases, and a 50% day-over-day rise, but much better than a 130% day-over-day rise

Ah ok, I noticed that the number had gone down but I thought I was going mad... was just debating whether I should apologise for my previous scaremongering or simply lie low and hope no-one noticed... but it wasn't my mistake after all.