Status
Not open for further replies.

sufi

lala
When you think about this kind of thing a lot you get some inoculation. Years of low level anxiety act as psychological deposits in the bank. Personal circumstances ar a factor too, but Ive been eerily calm through this. Its like anticipating something awful happening for a long time leaving you more capable of dealing with it when it arrives - the death of a loved one after a long illness. The only time I felt anything close to panic was when it seemed imperial college were estimating much higher deaths than they were. Never so happy to be wrong about something.

That said, unfortunately, what you call ghoulishness has turned out to be realism. Perhaps not even realistic enough. The next couple of weeks are gonna be tough everywhere. I already know a few people whove lost loved ones.
Hmmm not sure this is entirely healthy, but i also get these echoes of earlier (pre-pandemic) thoughts about self sufficiency, survivalism, alot of which are connected to the alotment :crylarf: but i think there's something deeper too, i remember as a young child having fantasies about hiding out from invasions, feels quite instinctual to me

I'm also surprised how easy it is to click into the hygiene thing, never having been a big handwasher, the circuits to change behaviour to avoid contagion are there even if you never used them before

IdleRich

IdleRich
Came home from shopping the other day, washed my hands for ten minutes... then I needed a leak, ten seconds later I have to wash them for another ten minutes.

droid

Hmmm not sure this is entirely healthy, but i also get these echoes of earlier (pre-pandemic) thoughts about self sufficiency, survivalism, alot of which are connected to the alotment :crylarf: but i think there's something deeper too, i remember as a young child having fantasies about hiding out from invasions, feels quite instinctual to me

I'm also surprised how easy it is to click into the hygiene thing, never having been a big handwasher, the circuits to change behaviour to avoid contagion are there even if you never used them before

Premeditatio Malorum, negative visualisation. A core principle of stoicism. Its difficult, but I find it works for me.

“What is quite unlooked for is more crushing in its effect, and unexpectedness adds to the weight of a disaster. This is a reason for ensuring that nothing ever takes us by surprise. We should project our thoughts ahead of us at every turn and have in mind every possible eventuality instead of only the usual course of events…

Rehearse them in your mind: exile, torture, war, shipwreck. All the terms of our human lot should be before our eyes.”

— Seneca

This guy knows the score. Good advice here:

droid

Stoicism isnt a guide to public policy, its a personal philosophy, but if you were to take those principles and apply them to politics, you would imagine, and then plan for the worst - which is kinda what governments are meant to do anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah I know what stoicism is... one time I woke up in this girl's bed and she started to read aloud to me from Seneca... didn't realise it had been THAT bad but I guess she got through it.

droid

Dont worry Rich. If she was a true stoic then you were actually helping by subjecting her to such horror.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember I recognised it cos it's quoted extensively in The Clicking of Cuthbert by PG Wodehouse (his contention is that MA came up with a lot of it after slicing from the tee into the rough and then breaking his club in a spirit of calm contemplation).

Dont worry Rich. If she was a true stoic then you were actually helping by subjecting her to such horror.
Like you she was expecting the worst.

luka

The government really hasn't done that much has it though? I mean it issued that stay at home order which really just involves saying it but I suppose they had to summon up the will to say it and decide that stopping the economy was feasible, that it was worth it to save lives (or poll ratings, whatever). Beyond that their main hiding and lying about what they said before and how many ventilators are on order.

Another point in defence of the Tories is that responses from left of centre governments like New Zealand's don't seem to have been radically different to ours. The real outlier is America which responded with a gigantic corporate slush fund/bailout.

droid

All that, though, has to be set against a record that does not inspire confidence, but saps it. It consists of a series of decisions that, for now, the British public has been prepared to forgive, granting its leaders the benefit of the doubt, but which it may eventually find indefensible. Their combined effect can be seen in a single image, a graph with the power to terrify. It shows that the UK death toll is currently higher than Italy’s at the same stage, reinforced by another showing that by this stage of the outbreak Italy had begun to flatten its curve while in Britain the line keeps rising, the number of deaths doubling every three days.

Start with Johnson’s initial reaction to this menace. Recall the smirking insouciance with which he boasted that he continued to shake hands, even when he met people he knew to be infected with the virus. If Britain emerges from this crisis with a higher death rate than comparable countries, that is a Johnson moment that will come to haunt him.

That complacency was formalised in the government’s flirtation with the notion of herd immunity, an approach that some ministers still try to deny was ever policy but which was spelled out explicitly by the chief scientific adviser as recently as 13 March. To be sure, Johnson U-turned on that, ditching mitigation for all-out suppression when he announced the national lockdown 10 days later, prompted in part by seeing Italy engulfed by the virus. But Britons might not wait for the inevitable public inquiry to wonder at the time lost chasing what proved to be a fantasy and to ask how those precious days might have been used instead to prepare for what was coming.

For that time could have been devoted to testing, the failing on which this government is likely to be judged most harshly. On Thursday, health secretary Matt Hancock sought to offer an explanation for why Britain so conspicuously lags behind the likes of Germany in this area: Britain does not have the diagnostic industry the Germans have built up over 70 years, he said. But that cannot excuse what has been a litany of mixed messages, crossed wires and broken promises.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/03/boris-johnson-judged-coronavirus-confusion

Leo

IMG_1539.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Another point in defence of the Tories is that responses from left of centre governments like New Zealand's don't seem to have been radically different to ours. The real outlier is America which responded with a gigantic corporate slush fund/bailout.
Maybe not financially but they shut down everything when they had, what, no deaths at all I think. Johnson was saying there was nothing to worry about way past that point. So arguably the Tories have been forced in the direction of left-wing financial policies but they have failed on the simple moral and logistical tasks.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Came home from shopping the other day, washed my hands for ten minutes... then I needed a leak, ten seconds later I have to wash them for another ten minutes.

I don't want to think about how your dick got dirty enough to warrant a ten-minute hand wash.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, dunno how they've gotten away with uploading a full blu-ray rip.
Every time someone mentions that film I think of a film group I was in where soneone said it was better than The Shining. The moderator completely lost it, went on this mad rant and kicked him out - finished up by saying "Yeah everyone is entitled to an opinion but that's just mental."

Status
Not open for further replies.