Status
Not open for further replies.

droid

i think if dom wasnt sick he would have got it sorted. but yeah it just seems a total lack of effectiveness and incompetance which is inexcusable really. it reminds me of managers at work who cant do very simple IT things

lol, yeah Im sure the chief psychopath would have made sure all the proles working in the institution he wants to destroy were kept safe.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah my understanding is that modelling said that the procurement and so on for NHS was not in a position to deal with a crisis. The Tories chose not to address this. You can't then blame the people who have already said they have insufficient resources and requested more for not being able to suddenly magic stuff up. EDIT: was replying to Droid and HMGT

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, my sister came down with it almost immediately after being called in, has been out of action for nearly 2 weeks now. She's on the mend, fingers crossed, though lost her voice (insert mandatory sibling joke). I'm trying not to think about relapses...but yeah, the lack of proper PPE seems lunatic.

My GP sis in law has asthma which puts her in the high-risk category so she's strictly WFH. Which is good, I guess, but I'd be fucking bricking it right now if I already had any condition that interferes with breathing.

Leo

Hey Leo, how are things in NY now?

grim, thanks for asking. ;)

honestly, it's a bit like a tale of two worlds: on one hand, some hospitals in the outer boroughs (queens, Brooklyn) starting to get overrun and running low on supplies while the peak is still probably 2-3 weeks away, general high(er) anxiety brought on by big spike in unemployment...and on the other hand, we only go outside once a week to go food shopping and are busy (thank goodness) with work from home, so find ourselves not focusing on it and a bit removed from reality. feeling occasional guilt that we're living a privileged life, able to order wine/beer delivery and enjoy a second or third glass at dinner while others have no way of paying next month's rent or worse, testing positive.

fucks with your head. probably not the type of response you were looking for but that's what's top of mind.

anxiety and periodic guilt, brought ever-slightly back from the brink by an occasional good choon of the day or deep house thread post. despite all the recent drama, this place can still matter and help.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So you can still order food (and drink) deliveries there then? How does it work, do they leave it somewhere or do you actually meet them? Post woman came up to our flat and handed me a record the other day now I come to think of it... and Dominos was open last time I saw it but that was at least a week back.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They gonna do a big clap thing for all the brave DHS, UPS, Amazon etc delivery drivers I heard, it's gonna be on Monday some time between 10am and 6pm.

droid

grim, thanks for asking. ;)

honestly, it's a bit like a tale of two worlds: on one hand, some hospitals in the outer boroughs (queens, Brooklyn) starting to get overrun and running low on supplies while the peak is still probably 2-3 weeks away, general high(er) anxiety brought on by big spike in unemployment...and on the other hand, we only go outside once a week to go food shopping and are busy (thank goodness) with work from home, so find ourselves not focusing on it and a bit removed from reality. feeling occasional guilt that we're living a privileged life, able to order wine/beer delivery and enjoy a second or third glass at dinner while others have no way of paying next month's rent or worse, testing positive.

fucks with your head. probably not the type of response you were looking for but that's what's top of mind.

anxiety and periodic guilt, brought ever-slightly back from the brink by an occasional good choon of the day or deep house thread post. despite all the recent drama, this place can still matter and help.

No, that sounds about right. Not a million miles away from my experience, except more arguments with children, and presumably, far less style.

Glad to hear youre safe anyway. Im worried about Padraig, havent heard from him in a while.

Last edited:

droid

Both myself and Mrs. droid are public sector and they're talking about redeploying more public servants now. I dont think either of us will be sent to the front lines, as were both essential to the running of our institutions (on paper at least) but its another reminder of how fortunate we are.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I was just wondering about Padraig actually... not only cos I was missing that informed comment from the US (but that too).

droid

I mailed him the other day and havent heard back. I assume hes just dealing with real life stuff.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah that was my thought too... I'm sure that there is on need to worry. It's just that (for me) anyway, Dissensus in general, and this thread especially, have become a very nice way to stay sane and joke about this ridiculous and terrifying situation we all find ourselves in and also gather useful information from various places and so on. Like a, I dunno, book group or something. One of the regular contributors goes missing and it feels out of balance or something.
I wondered if the Group Therapy thread was going to be an acknowledgement of the above and a deliberate attempt to formalise it so I ventured in. But sadly it was just about an argument that I'd completely missed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Worldmonitor is saying that there have been 1,300 deaths in the US today. A few days ago it passed 1,000 but John Hopkins stop reporting at a different time and thus reported a lower figure. It seems to me that a thousand should be significant and symbolic number, surely something has to shock Trump into ordering a complete lockdown, blocking travel and so on and if it's not that, what will?

droid

Yeah that was my thought too... I'm sure that there is on need to worry. It's just that (for me) anyway, Dissensus in general, and this thread especially, have become a very nice way to stay sane and joke about this ridiculous and terrifying situation we all find ourselves in and also gather useful information from various places and so on. Like a, I dunno, book group or something. One of the regular contributors goes missing and it feels out of balance or something.
I wondered if the Group Therapy thread was going to be an acknowledgement of the above and a deliberate attempt to formalise it so I ventured in. But sadly it was just about an argument that I'd completely missed.

lol. Im with you. I think I prefer the idea of Dissensus as being a welcoming shelter from the storm rather than a vicious feral warzone.

Leo

So you can still order food (and drink) deliveries there then? How does it work, do they leave it somewhere or do you actually meet them? Post woman came up to our flat and handed me a record the other day now I come to think of it... and Dominos was open last time I saw it but that was at least a week back.

yeah...in fact, the liquor store has offered delivery for years but we never used it, since we live three blocks away. you order and pay online, and when they deliver to our apartment building we buzz them in and they leave the order in the lobby, then we go down and get it. don't have to actually interact with the delivery person (the tip is given when paying online). we even ordered a delivery of cat litter this week from the local pet store!

we haven't ordered food, but a number of restaurants are doing take away: order online or by phone and then come by to pick it up. many also have deliver, or use grub hub/seamless (online food delivery services here).

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah...in fact, the liquor store has offered delivery for years but we never used it, since we live three blocks away. you order and pay online, and when they deliver to our apartment building we buzz them in and they leave the order in the lobby, then we go down and get it. don't have to actually interact with the delivery person (the tip is given when paying online). we even ordered a deliver of cat litter this week from the local pet store!
This makes good sense to me. Obviously most people can't afford to have takeaway every night but once a week or whatever can break the monotony of cooking for yourself every evening and it can theoretically extend the time you can wait before going out for a big shop. I thought it was banned here though despite that... but maybe not cos Dominos (which is literally the only the takeaway in our town) was open the other day. Hmmm, must investigate.
In fact a lot of laws seem a bit weird. Like, you can go jogging, but you can't drive to a jogging place - I would have thought that driving somewhere secluded would mean you didn't risk infection on the way or there, whereas if you just went there on foot it would be more dangerous. Also places that are allowed to stay open but which have reduced hours - won't that concentrate the people who do go there and increase the risk of the thing spreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.