Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I doubt there'll be any consequences for him if he makes it through. The public will feel sorry for and rally around him because he was really ill with it and the media will find some ideological opponent to blame.
I'm pretty sure that there will be some kind of inquiry (enquiry... is one just a question and the other an investigation or something?) and you'd hope that in a grown-up world it would take a dispassionate look at what happened and not be influenced by that kind of sentimentality. So yeah you're probably right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I doubt there'll be any consequences for him if he makes it through. The public will feel sorry for and rally around him because he was really ill with it and the media will find some ideological opponent to blame.

Daily Mail will trace it to Barnier.

IdleRich

IdleRich
how long has the uk been doing social distancing? maybe he infected a bunch of other important people as well.
Well in theory quite some time but Johnson and his health secretary (who was also infected) have been appearing on telly almost every day with a load of other people completely ignoring the rules while giving his press conferences etc His main evil henchmen/grand vizier/power behind the throne Dominic Cummings also has it. So you're almost certainly right.
In fact the health secretary who was less ill came out of self-isolation before the recommended time and then went to claim credit for the opening of a new hospital, still not practising his own rules or wearing a mask or whatever. Yes the health secretary. No I'm not joking.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Infinitely worse than Johnson. He deserves the gallows for the shale industry alone.

Honestly, I'm surprised. If there's one person here who could see some good in a former POTUS I'd have thought it would be droid!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not the main news of today but the thing with Pep is very sad... pretty shit to have one of your parents ill and in another country that you can't visit and then they die.

john eden

male pale and stale
Fucking hell John! I thought you were a utopian visionary like me

Well it’s more, erm, dialectical than that of course. People are adapting, reassessing their lives and what is truly important. Seeing beauty in each other and small things.

luka

A lot of people are realising how intolerable their lives were and how unnecessary that was. Deaccelerationism aka putting the brakes on is the way of the future. Every year we will take two months off. The whole world doing fuck all.

luka

Two months of "seeing beauty in each other and small things".
Drastically reduced activity all year round. Just going, I can't be bothered, it's a waste of time. And soon we will see dolphins in the Thames again, like we used to when we were children.

droid

Obama boasted about implementing policy that accelerates a process which could result in the death of 90% of life on earth, and he was aware of the possible outcome when he did it.

Its amongst the worst crimes in history.

Obama, Nov. 27: I was extraordinarily proud of the Paris Accords because, look I know we’re in oil country and we need American energy. And by the way, American energy production, you wouldn’t always know it, but it went up every year I was president. And you know that whole suddenly America’s like the biggest oil producer … that was me, people.

version

A lot of people are realising how intolerable their lives were and how unnecessary that was. Deaccelerationism aka putting the brakes on is the way of the future. Every year we will take two months off. The whole world doing fuck all.

I read this earlier,

These elements were the heart, or at least the sinews, of the rise of automation and the development of computer technology, prompting hopes in some quarters for the fulfilment of Lord Keynes's speculations in 1930 "that the day might not be all that far off when everybody would be rich. We shall then," E. F. Schumacher, author of Small is Beautiful, found him saying, "once more value ends above means and prefer the good to the useful. . . . But beware! The time for all this is not yet. For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to everyone that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still. For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into daylight. . . ."

A hundred years would take us to 2030. Perhaps he was right and we'll end up with something along the lines of UBI by then?

Leo

not sure "everyone is rich" automatically equals a utopia. everything is relative, might the current perception of "rich" be irrelevant in the future because the cost of living and leisure just escalates to maintain the divisions within society? the haves and the have mores? UBI is great if that income actually buys anything.

version

Where you getting the utopia bit from? And yeah, one of the worries with UBI seems to be that people might just jack up rents, prices etc by more or less however much everyone gets from the state and render it meaningless.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'd have thought that everyone being rich means something different from being a millionaire, I'd agree that if everyone has more money it's devalued so presumably it means something more like everyone has a place to live, enough food and other resources etc actually more than enough if they are all rich. I feel that it almost implies that society has moved beyond money.

luka

Martin said any time he did magic to make the rain stop it ensured that somewhere along the line he'd get really wet at a time he really didn't get wet and I think the same superstitious reasoning is why no one wants to come out and say DIE BORIS DIE. We are all afraid those intentions will come back to haunt us. And who knows what kind of virulent black magic wards and barriers he might have around his astral body. It would be like trying to hack into the Pentagon.

luka

I'd have thought that everyone being rich means something different from being a millionaire, I'd agree that if everyone has more money it's devalued so presumably it means something more like everyone has a place to live, enough food and other resources etc actually more than enough if they are all rich. I feel that it almost implies that society has moved beyond money.

Rich is right. It's the move beyond the money form which counts here. One possible outcome of this Event is the cancellation of money. Not just dirty cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.