Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that someone mentioned that Rand Paul has tested positive... not sure attention was drawn to the irony that last week his father Ron wrote a piece entitled "The Coronavirus Hoax".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah actually though he's talking about the swingeing measures lasting for two years though... not just the mooted immediate lockdown.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Or he's kinda conflating the two things... to me I think it's completely possible to think that there should be an immediate lockdown (closing of bars and schools etc a curfew I dunno) and have a problem with the whole of parliament nodding through a load of draconian measures that will be in place for two years, by counting those as one thing he's making a mess of an argument.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think that someone mentioned that Rand Paul has tested positive... not sure attention was drawn to the irony that last week his father Ron wrote a piece entitled "The Coronavirus Hoax".

It's a pretty convincing hoax, you gotta admit.

I mean that just goes to show the level of devilish cunning we're dealing with.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Except in the Tudor plague era there (probably) wasn't a third category of thousands of insane fuckers going to street food markets
probably not. tho one imagines the urban poor of London stuck getting on as best they could. the outbreak in 1563 killed ~1/3 of Londoners.

periodic plague outbreaks seem to have become a more or less just a fact of life, a lurking doom.

there's the famous brief/oblique plague reference in Romeo + Juliet

padraig (u.s.)

in potentially good (or less bad) news, worldometers has dropped the # of reported new NY cases today by like 8k. no idea which # is right.

which would still leave at 5k new cases, and a 50% day-over-day rise, but much better than a 130% day-over-day rise

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah ok, I noticed that the number had gone down but I thought I was going mad... was just debating whether I should apologise for my previous scaremongering or simply lie low and hope no-one noticed... but it wasn't my mistake after all.

It would be helpful to know the real figures in China, dead and infected, 4 months in. Someone has indirectly calculated the number of dead from the count of lapsed mobile accounts so far this year. It's millions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not sure that's a particularly accurate way of doing it either - accounts could lapse for loads of reasons.
I'm reading Harvey Weinstein has tested positive.

luka

Not sure that's a particularly accurate way of doing it either - accounts could lapse for loads of reasons.

Nothing gives me more of a conspiracy vibe of irreality than the supposed celebrity infections

Yes, being unable to pay because you're.confined to.your apartment would account for many of them. But you would want to keep your mobile running if you werve alive wouldn't you?

Should be easy to compare account numbers compared to last year's changes if that data is in the public domain.

padraig (u.s.)

It would be helpful to know the real figures in China, dead and infected, 4 months in
that would be very useful, if obviously not forthcoming

you'd also need some way of determining how much higher it is than the normal number of deaths

I read a couple months ago that the current pre-pandemic death rate of China is something like 9000/day. if you take that estimate YTD, it's 730,000.

droid

Yes, being unable to pay because you're.confined to.your apartment would account for many of them. But you would want to keep your mobile running if you werve alive wouldn't you?

Should be easy to compare account numbers compared to last year's changes if that data is in the public domain.

Censorship. Someone steps out of line, delete their account.

Status
Not open for further replies.