Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Worldometer is out of date for the UK. The total at 5pm yesterday was 578, up 115 from 8 hours earlier (as they're changing the times at which they start/end the count), if I've read this correctly. Can that be true, it's crazy if so

Fuck! Dunno which source you're looking at, but Guardian is saying the same thing. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england

I did wonder if the low numbers for today and yesterday were too good to be true.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
but the real truth is, no one exactly knows for now

it seems pretty clear there's not enough data for even experts to make anything more than educated guesses

I assume that really things like this are only figured out in retrospect

Yeah, I'm sure epidemiologists and statisticians are going to be chewing this over for decades to come. There's more data than ever before, and it's easier to come by than ever before, but how do you make sense of it when all the countries involved have different ways of testing for it (or not) and different ways of treating patients and recording deaths?

I bet there are big differences even from state to state in the USA, too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
which is good news for Ireland (highest nurse rate on Earth, from what I could find)

but few icu staff https://www.irishtimes.com/news/hea...els-as-hse-stocks-up-on-ventilators-1.4201544

"Ironically, nearly half of the ventilators used in acute hospitals around the globe are made in Ireland. Galway-based Medtronic is one of the biggest manufacturers."
Basically more ventilators than qualified staff to use them

I'm now at a loss to know why the UK isn't importing some of its shortfall from Ireland, if that above quote is true

I imagine if German figures are true, it's a balance of all the important factors together - more nurses, more ICU staff, more beds, better healthcare, reasonable govt policy etc

I read something in the FT earlier about the Oxford model - it's getting serious flack from scientists at Imperial.

Looks like the whole thing has kicked off some serious intervarsity rivalry! I think Paxman should adjudicate.

Hasn't Neil Ferguson of ICL walked back from his model, now predicting 20k rather than the earlier 500k?

luka

This is what I mean about science is a load of bollocks anyone that believe 'science' wants their head examining

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I'm sure epidemiologists and statisticians are going to be chewing this over for decades to come. There's more data than ever before, and it's easier to come by than ever before, but how do you make sense of it when all the countries involved have different ways of testing for it (or not) and different ways of treating patients and recording deaths?
Yeah it's insanely complicated. One of my friends has been emailing me saying "You did a maths degree in 1995 - surely you can work out when it will peak and exactly how many will die?". She didn't seem to believe me when I said it's not quite that simple...

luka

Fucking hell the New Yorker is so twee every article starts like this

I woke up to a sweltering morning—the black kites outside my hotel room were circling upward, lifted by the warming currents of air—and I went to visit a shrine to the goddess Shitala

Fucking hell the New Yorker is so twee every article starts like this

I woke up to a sweltering morning—the black kites outside my hotel room were circling upward, lifted by the warming currents of air—and I went to visit a shrine to the goddess Shitala

I too hate that homespun American style, it's the worst. Worse than Coronavirus.

luka

Every article starts out like a 14 year olds creative writing homework. Some hot housed brat from a 'gifted' school

catalog

I've got to about halfway before coming back here. I got lost when he starts explaining the three important questions, I started to think they are not that important

Status
Not open for further replies.