The Architects

luka

You get lineages. Jazz is notable for this. Or modernist poetry you get eg Pound-Olson-Prynne.

Simon silverdollarcircle

Do we respect the past too much now for that to happen though?

Even rap which is as brutally forward thinking as it comes, Tupac and DJ Screw and Biggie are still gods

catalog

Alan Moore,
Personally speaking I was thinking he probably influenced me more than any other writer, by using the previously innocuous medium 9f kids comics he slipped in under the radar during those crucial formative years
Needs a thread of his own

Yeah Alan Moore definitely twisted my melon

luka

I read Promethea a couple of years back and it really penetrated my unconscious!

sufi

lala
He's unapologetically creepy, but i was lucky enough to grow up while he was putting out some wonderful stories in 2000AD & Warrior - then I never read much of his after swamp thing and watchmen. The attitudes and underlying assumptions in his tales were very ideologically shaping

halojonestwo3.jpg

e.g. only the cetaceans know how to navigate space

luka

Don't worry Sufi, me and you will defend him from these callow, crusading SJWs

DannyL

Wild Horses
Stewart Brand?

Am also a huge Moore fan. The early stuff was hugely shaping for me. Big fan of Marvel/Miracleman also, and From Hell. I can forgive him the misses 'cos so many hits. I saw some of the spoken word stuff live and that also blew my mind.

DannyL

Wild Horses
the guy behind Whole Earth Catalogue. Californian hippy. But set the tone for the hippy/Silicon Valley Green overlap. Now doing a thing called "The Long Now" - seminars and art to support long term thinking.

Re, Moore. Lots of the old 2000AD stuff, like Abelard Snazz or DR & Quinch completely blew my mind as a kid.

luka

Oh right, yeah, good pick. I guess semoitexte in a way too. Parcelling up all this material and distributing it to the callow youth. Cool Uncles on the grand scale.