The Architects

catalog

I would argue that Luka is not an architect, but rather a sustainer. Minor quibble tho. Still very important person.

catalog

Good one on Stewart brand, has anyone read that book of his 'how buildings learn'? Ive not, but heard it's really good for thinking through a lot. Whole earth catalog = big influence on wired guy Kevin something and Steve jobs

DannyL

Wild Horses
Good one on Stewart brand, has anyone read that book of his 'how buildings learn'? Ive not, but heard it's really good for thinking through a lot. Whole earth catalog = big influence on wired guy Kevin something and Steve jobs

Not read the book but the series is on Youtube. It's a great watch. You mean Kevin Kelly I think - never read him.

More obscurely I'd cite Hakim Bey/Peter Lamborn Wilson. He was a widely read (in both senses) anarchist theorist. His idea of the TAZ (Temporary Autonomous Zone) seemed to find it's way into practice in things like the early raves and Reclaim the Streets , also in discussion about the internet though he personally has expressed revulsion at it's lack of physicality. He's a mystic as well, a Sufi, and has written a bunch of mind blowing books on heretical Islam. Heas strong leanings towards pederasty though and that came out in some of his early agit prop - was behind NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association) which I've never been sure was anything beyond a joke to wind up fundamentalist Christians. I think it was all this that's contributed to his disappearance from the public realm.

craner

Beast of Burden
You could have a parallel thread on Demolition Experts: Steve Bannon, Jacques Derrida, Arnold Schoenberg.

catalog

Yeah I've heard a lot about Hakim bey. I dint know he was behind that society. Samuel Delaney/delany, who I really like, got in trouble for his defence of that. Cheers for link to the Stewart brand series.