The Architects

sadmanbarty

Those whose singular, often seemingly niche, visions shape the world around them.

this one's great, showing grime's silly side. a silly side that distinctly emerged from wiley's sense of humour. grime is a whole genre just mapping the inner emotional terrain of one man. its all just different facets of wiley made manifest through different people.

Joe Rogan's a particularly strange one. He's got this very disparate set of interests (fighting, psychedelics, conspiracy theories, culture wars, comedy, libertarianism) but i assume he's managed to mould a hole legion of fans into being interested in those things.

version

He managed to pull things in from all over the place and influenced a lot of people in doing so -- Dylan, Bowie, Kurt Cobain, Jimmy Page, Patti Smith, Gus Van Sant, Pynchon, William Gibson and plenty of others -- and he's apparently the source of both the term 'Heavy Metal' and 'Blade Runner'.

sadmanbarty

craner should be an architect. a hole army of clones who love 80's brian ferry suits, early-90's mariah carey and long reads in the london review of books about uzbeki domestic politics.

version

Hunter Thompson was an architect. Pynchon is too, although not to the extent of Thompson or Burroughs as he's never been as widely read, but he's one of those with a very particular worldview and disparate interests which often carry over to his fans.

sufi

lala
Alan Moore,
Personally speaking I was thinking he probably influenced me more than any other writer, by using the previously innocuous medium 9f kids comics he slipped in under the radar during those crucial formative years
Needs a thread of his own

Simon silverdollarcircle

I mean Luka is clearly the architect of dissensus let's not kid ourselves

We wouldnt be talking about the spirits seen in the cracks between paving slabs if it weren't for him

luka

Thanks for noticing I thought if I point it out beagle is going to turn up and call me a narcissist and a big gay again.

version

Scott Alexander who does Slate Star Codex has an army of followers who hang on his every word and have built a whole community around the blog.