Jon Lansman’s Disappointment/(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

kumar

slightly related, i was in the post office in deptford a few weeks ago and this geezer in the queue bumped into a mate of his, the mate was in decorating overalls and they were chatting about his side business, he was excited because he'd had some orders in from new jersey, after eavesdropping for a moment it turned out he'd set up an essential oils and infused candles business and talked in detail about the wide ranging benefits of juniper berries, i wouldnt say my projections were let down as such but i suppose i was a bit surprised.

version

Isn't this one of the pillars the whole 'cultural marxism' conspiracy's built on? That left wing intellectuals disappointed by the working class set out to manufacture another class via things like identity politics?

martin

----
I struggle to make out what Strummer's slurring most of the time (I could never figure out Clash City Rockers without the lyric sheet) so I genuinely spent years thinking 'WMIHP' was about the exact opposite - a white bloke going down to a reggae night for a drink and a bop but instead having a run-in with angry militant rastas, enraged by his frivolous cultural appropriation, and him pleading with them to leave him alone - while the army shoot everyone outside.

Find it really hard to believe that Dillinger and Delroy Wilson sucked so badly that night. Fair enough if it'd been Tippa Irie singing "Hello Darling", but Dil 'n' Del were pretty solid around '77/78.

In his defence though, rastas weren't exactly enamoured with disco smoothies 'getting on down'

sadmanbarty

It's fair enough if something was (cough) not what you were hoping for, to be honest.

2020 is the year of john eden.

me, craner and luke all felt 2020 was special independently of one another. there was something in the air. in the charge of ions.

and now we know what it is. a new eden has dawned. 2020 is the year we return to the garden.

luka

I was going to discuss this on the kpunk memorial lecture thread but in the end I didn't have the appetite for it. It as because Simon, playing to the audience, was making apologetic remarks about the apolitical nature of 'trap music'.

luka

That quote makes Strummer sound fairly revolting. I hate that shit. Projecting your revolutionary inadequacies into another culture and their music. Black people actually enjoying themselves is a betrayal of the revolution. Fuck that shit.

The middle class do this to the proles too and are also commonly disappointed.

luka

There's definitely a sense of betrayal a lot of white people have with regard to black music, and, more generally, with black people. They represented resistance and revolt. A whole other system of values. I'm very, very interested in this.

craner

Beast of Burden
The saga of David Horowitz and the Black Panthers is a very interesting, if extreme, example of this. (Albeit not related to music.)

john eden

male pale and stale
I've seen the clip now and it's interesting that you can't seem to find what Lansman actually said anywhere - just Alan Johnson slagging him off and putting words in his mouth, shared by the Telegraph and the Financial Times and ITV. With Ed Balls and George Osborne nodding along.

Without sound too much like a one trick pony, Labour did better than everyone expected in the 2017 election. So it made sense to continue that strategy. They fucked it up this time though with a combination of Brexit, too many weird policies and Corbyn himself failing to rise to the challenge or go on the attack.