Sly & The Family Stone vs. Funkadelic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

youtube comment:
the shit larry graham does with the bass on this song is beyond belief. so gentle but so much power behind it. reminds me of a huge lazy ground sloth that could kill you if it wants but it's just pluckin berries from the tree lyin in the sun being stupid

One of the funkiest albums ever

version

Sebastian Fjorn
3 years ago
i was listening to this song while driving in the middle of the night, and a sneaking feeling washed over me.
i felt truly connected to everything in the universe, that we were all one, that there is some great beyond maybe someday we'll discover that changes our very own perceptions as humans. i pulled to the side of the highway and cried. laughed and cranked the volume.

:love:

Like drifting through space. Special tune.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Sly is probably my favourite musician ever. Cornel West does a pretty good job of explaining why here:

Soul music.

from this doc:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBh9D3BGo3g&list=PLE-9fJHthijPoKEk4XnLNm0vq9YTBvfk-

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there was a gay night in leeds named after it as well. proper cratedigger shit. everything from bessie banks to like sea cat trance and euro synth. Cosmic Slop that is.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
These are getting increasingly impossible. I love Funkadelic despite or perhaps because of their inconsistencies - live version of One Nation Under a Groove is just incredible., I keep coming back to it.

But...There's a Riot Goin' On. Even if *that* sound was the result of an overactive libido rather than an artistic decision - is that legend true?

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't get Funkadelic at all. I saw them live in 1997 and it was tedious, like watching The Grateful Dead or some shit. Their influence has always seemed to me to be noxious too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
There's something fundamentally American about it, so Craner's Grateful Dead comparison makes sense. It depends it you can stomach that - I'm sure there's a canon somewhere of vaguely credible US acts* that cause cultural confusion for Europeans, or at least the UK. I think I spent enough time in the US to be more lenient, it's the only thing I can think of.

*ie not Ted Nugent

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I can definitely stomach America, in fact I like it a lot. I don't think that is the reason.