Sly & The Family Stone vs. Funkadelic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

martin

----
Never got Funkadelic either - pretty sure Maggotbrain's stellar reputation is down to the memorable artwork rather than the music. Also, Shockwaves is possibly the worst cod reggae song I've ever had the misfortune to hear.

I don't know anything by Sly & The Family Stone though. Would vote for Thin Lizzy, their funk-rock stuff (Black Boys On The Corner, Sha La La, It's Only Money, etc) sounded way better than Funkadelic to me.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
These are getting increasingly impossible. I love Funkadelic despite or perhaps because of their inconsistencies - live version of One Nation Under a Groove is just incredible., I keep coming back to it.

But...There's a Riot Goin' On. Even if *that* sound was the result of an overactive libido rather than an artistic decision - is that legend true?

which live version of one nation?

can you explain the 2nd question?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Legend has it that the reason the master tape wore so thin, giving Riot that unique sound, is that Sly kept on sleeping with backing singers and then erasing their contributions from the master tape afterwards

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Definitely read he was constantly overdubbing and that lead to the sound. Didn't know it was due to barty level romping though! Also read that he recorded the guitar and vocal parts in bed lol. Need to get a biography or sthn. The guy used to hang out with Brando and Pryor and all that lot.

Little quote I once read on ilx: "He had these two big old peacocks, and if you came out of there at night fucked up, forget it. These two peacocks would attack you. You coming outta there and they just fly off the roof. Big old peacocks. These things would fly down on you. That would freak you out because you would come out of there totally spaced, saying where are these fucking peacocks, motherfucker, because you knew they were out there." - Bobby Womack

sufi

lala
I don't get Funkadelic at all. I saw them live in 1997 and it was tedious, like watching The Grateful Dead or some shit. Their influence has always seemed to me to be noxious too.
i remember my teenage disappointment and confusion on listening to the dead, expecting some sort of amazing trippy experience - music that would some how transport me on a psychedelic journey either with or without drugs, only to find endless flaky folky claptrap

this on the other hand is just that - head music, like ur music, music that exists as an elemental basic component, that has to be this way like a law of physics, a precise naturally occurring space that needed to be filled, a definition
i dug this so deeply i still remember exactly when it would hit a scratch and get stuck on that groove 11:39

so sparse, it sounds mixed, almost like techno, filtered elements dropping in and out echoing on top of that definitive beat, the call and reply, the chorus

later funkadelic went towards being an ensemble type big band, sprawled with loads of releases, hard to pin down tunes amongst the general sound and attitude, clinton & the whiole thing became increasingly a cartoon, and i think highly variable quality of the live performances?

Last edited:

sufi

lala
in complete contrast sly & fam are bright, spontaneous, exuberant and joyful - sound like a live band rather than a studio artefact :love:

sufi

lala
These are getting increasingly impossible. I love Funkadelic despite or perhaps because of their inconsistencies - live version of One Nation Under a Groove is just incredible., I keep coming back to it.

But...There's a Riot Goin' On. Even if *that* sound was the result of an overactive libido rather than an artistic decision - is that legend true?
i abstain this one

forclosure

Ok im sorry this is going to be a really assholish response from me

but i dont know if this is just a white british male anxiety to unrepressed sex thing or a dissensus "what would the real REAL heads think?" so let me pick the other response of the two but saying that you dont like the sweatiness is a barrier to funkadelic WHAT ARE YOU SAYING MAN? the whole basis of the fucking music is on that dirt and filth sure James Brown might not have had the sheer freakiness of P-funk but that guy was out here sweating liters of the stuff its integral to funk like it is to a fight scene in a martial arts movie. what are you man on? even the most dated Jheri curl stuff from the 80s had it.

Like George said on Lets take it to the stage "funk used to be a bad word" understand i love sly but they were just as if not more universal and joyous in their messaging its just that the Stand stuff probably embodies more of that 60s Utopia response to the war thing more so than alot of music from that era same goes for Riot with the 70s

Yeah ill admit theres alot of rancid jam band shit that probably comes from the p funk influence and the Red Hot Chilli Peppers all need to get thrown in car crushers as far as im concerend but if youre gonna chat to me like with Sly its just went down through Miles Davis and techno im sorry theres a fucking Soundgarden cover of 'Thank You' out there.

shit even George will admit that he was listening to Sly but also vice versa for Sly two theyre both part of that black big band tradition respectful of each others works but also very competitive

forclosure

also if we"re being real Sly stops being a trailblazer 73 cause sadly his demons caught up with him and theyve never let go where as George the same thing happened but much later aswell as all the lawsuits his mark stretched up into the 80s and i know you man aint gonna try and besmirch "Atomic Dog" now

anyway to tip things back from my negativity

luka

I've always been like that. Don't like hairy messy music. Don't like rock music. Don't like 'jams'. don't like shaggy guitars. Don't like meandering music. Don't like roadies. Don't like heavy metal. Don't like 'freakouts'. Don't like anal expulsives