sadmanbarty

Euro Aesthetic

one of my favourite reynolds things when i first got into reading him was him talking about why drum and bass was successful in europe but jungle wasn't. he was saying that in the uk we hear diva vocals as a signifier of blackness, whereas in europe it signified gayness.

there is an element of the idea of "blackness" being about men being able to be feminine (dancing, dressing fancy, expressing emotion) in a way where you're still macho.

this gets somewhere over the english channel

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's almost a dub deejay thing going on with pop smoke. As Barry or Luke probably already said. All these big gaps for the beat (which has got all this activity going on in it). It's so heavily weighted on his voice.

linebaugh

Ive been listening to pop smoke tons the past few days, spurred by finding that his charlie sloth freestyle, the best thing he ever did in my eyes, was properly turned into a track on Meet the Woo 2.

luka

Pop smokes soul force has entered Abra in the way cannabils used to ingest the enemies mana

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was thinking about this earlier listening to pop smoke wondering if Abra is too good a rapper to carry the mantle :ROFLMAO:

luka

He's much better than pop smoke one of the things everyone is grappling with in the pop smoke listening party is how is this person allowed to be so comically awful. Why do we like it when by objective standards he is very bad,

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is it possible that him being bad kind of fed into his ubique style of letting the beat breathe, though? Like if he was really good he probably wouldn't ever shut up.

luka

He adds something of course but by any standard metric he's just a weird looking idiot. Why was he chosen to inaugurate this

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He was a bit like 50 cent for the drill era. Although 50 was better at rapping esp in his mixtape days. Still, the emphasis was less on the lyrical skill and more on the persona and voice.