luka

I want to hear "Craner reacts to" "Corpsey reacts to" "Big Danny L reacts to"

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'll listen to whatever, fire it at me, though kids etc might limit my response time.

To jump back a second, idle thoughts re. the confidence in expression of the US rappers, this must have something to do with the longevity of black culture there right? The roots in the US's history, the Church, civil rights and so on. It's been part of the discourse for much longer. The UK black community is only 60 years deep really, and overwhelmingly working class in a class bound country. Black British identity seems more fraught, less substantial.

sadmanbarty

I'll listen to whatever, fire it at me, though kids etc might limit my response time.

To jump back a second, idle thoughts re. the confidence in expression of the US rappers, this must have something to do with the longevity of black culture there right? The roots in the US's history, the Church, civil rights and so on. It's been part of the discourse for much longer. The UK black community is only 60 years deep really, and overwhelmingly working class in a class bound country. Black British identity seems more fraught, less substantial.

also a lot of the uk drill lot are 2nd (possibly sometimes first) generation immigrants.

luka

I don't really know about this tbh because the uk drill thing seems more a stylistic trait that is brand new rather than a Consistent quality through the history of black music in this country

DannyL

Wild Horses
And a lot of this kinda expresses itself in localism, pretty parochial intentions. This track is to offer out the guys down the road. This is one of the madly interesting things about drill, what does music look like when its mediated via the internet yet has absolutely no commercial imperatives moving it? But you can see Pop Smoke thinking, I'm aiming to be a star. A couple of UK drill videos did seem to have commercial budgets/intentions but they feel like the exception that proves the rule (Russ, Loski, Headie One - again, someone who knows the music can tell me if/how I'm wrong here).

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't really know about this tbh because the uk drill thing seems more a stylistic trait that is brand new rather than a Consistent quality through the history of black music in this country

Good point. There something about the inward turning nature of the music as well. People wanted to rave to Soul II Soul, Shut Up & Dance. Not so sure about Harlem Spartans.

luka

And a lot of this kinda expresses itself in localism, pretty parochial intentions. This track is to offer out the guys down the road. This is one of the madly interesting things about drill, what does music look like when its mediated via the internet yet has absolutely no commercial imperatives moving it? But you can see Pop Smoke thinking, I'm aiming to be a star. A couple of UK drill videos did seem to have commercial budgets/intentions but they feel like the exception that proves the rule (Russ, Loski, Headie One - again, someone who knows the music can tell me if/how I'm wrong here).

This is one thing that comes direct and unaltered from Chicago to London. It's a commonplace to say Chicago drill is the first rap music to find its audience via YouTube and that set a pattern for London and everyone else.

luka

And Chicago demonstrated that there is in fact some degree of commercial viability to be gained solely from offering out the lads on the next street (and laughing at the ones you murdered last week)

luka

Just the fact that London was going mad for Chicago drill without anyone really noticing at the time is interesting in itself. People had pretty much discovered that scene themselves through YouTube and it resonated with them in a way that Americas mainstream music hadn't.

DannyL

Wild Horses
danny's a genius, so i'd definitely love to hear his take on stuff. migos as a doo wop trio is the best thing anyone has ever said ever.

I got that idea from listening to Bone Thugz, where it's super transparent. That's kinda what I'm getting at in this thread, there's a cultural richness that's drawn on with US black artists. You used to get a referencing of reggae in a similar way in a lot of UK stuff (jungle MCs, the samples in harcore and so on) but I've never heard that in drill.

luka

Just the fact that London was going mad for Chicago drill without anyone really noticing at the time is interesting in itself. People had pretty much discovered that scene themselves through YouTube and it resonated with them in a way that Americas mainstream music hadn't.

Similar to that London micro cult around Ar-Ab and Dark Lo etc. Rejecting Americas black Hollywood music.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers. I've dipped into that thread but I'll try and go through it more systematically over the next few days.