Corpsey

bandz ahoy
TBH though apart from Pop Smoke I find the US drill can be really good but it's somehow a bit blander than the UK stuff, even as generic as the UK stuff gets.

muser

I got a bit stoned (rare occasion) and went on a binge and totally decided NY was way more interesting, UK drill flows have just become really jarring for me but I'm sure I'll change my mind again.

luka

Barty described Brooklyn drill as 'Suck My Balls (eh, eh)' which I think is a pretty good description

luka

A good description not just because all the lyrics say suck my balls (ad lib, ad lib) but because everything they say they say in a voice that sounds like they're saying suck my balls

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's chest beating bravado isn't it vs the UK drill defensive posture, unable to look the camera in the eye

luka

I'm still interested in the voice actually. I had the same response as slackk when I first heard this stuff. "This is the worst rap voice of all time."

luka

I think that is objectively correct. They're terrible voices, but all the more so when you think of how many incredible voices New York as a city has spoken with.

Rakim and Nas and Method Man and you could really go forever.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The alchemy of UK drill is that it enables rappers with terrible voices and no charisma to make really good music

version

'Suck my Balls (eh, eh!)'
Cartman.png

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny though cos the production demands you rap in a certain way where I can't imagine Rakim, Method Man or Nas sounding good on those beats. But maybe they would and I just can't imagine it.