luka

the two things (production & voice) probably go hand in hand and are representative of the same changes in sensibility.

luka

The loss of granularity, texture etc talked about in the dematerialisation thread for instance

wild greens

Its like everyone decided to rap like joe pesci out of goodfellas instead of paulie out of goodfellas i can see the brattiness word working

Is it because you need a higher pitch voice to cut through shit phone speakers, or used to at least.

Not many good rap voices in either UK or US at the moment but at least UK still gravelly

forclosure

The alchemy of UK drill is that it enables rappers with terrible voices and no charisma to make really good music
i genuinly find it hard to believe that this factor is somehow unique to UK drill when this was exactly the case with road rap shit if you want to keep it a buck going back to grime once you got past the Deja/Rinse level and was listening to various man who came through Axe FM

that's kinda part of the problem i have with addressing drill on here is stuff that people talk about being unique to the genre(not to say that there aren't unique qualities) is shit i noticed decades prior

forclosure

Its like everyone decided to rap like joe pesci out of goodfellas instead of paulie out of goodfellas i can see the brattiness word working

Is it because you need a higher pitch voice to cut through shit phone speakers, or used to at least.

Not many good rap voices in either UK or US at the moment but at least UK still gravelly
if they wanted to rap like Joe Pesci that would be they would have to generate the firecracker energy that Pesci had,voice wise i get it but if anything it more reminds me of umpteen white guys who sound like cats in heat all thinking they can start podcasts on wrestling(Corpsey's fav subject)

forclosure

i mean the rappers/mcs with bad voices and no charisma, guys being celebrated as "lyricists" for putting together shit punchlines, internet fans hunger for knowing exactly how "real" their favourite artists are and knowing who they're connected to