Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Jokes aside I do still think he was a pretty limited rapper. Like I can really imagine what else he'd have done other than what he was really good at doing. It's really the beats and the voice - which of course can be enough sometimes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess you guys covered this but it's almost like rap that has evolved (or regressed) to be something different, despite the New York voice - he leaves these huge pauses between lines. Some of the lines are just one word. Sort of a post carti rapper.

luka

Which in itself is interesting cos he made about7 or 8 great songs despite being very bad, according to that metric

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well was Waka a good rapper in the flockaveli days?

That's what this pop smoke tape made me think of - a new York "Flockaveli".

luka

Not a ridiculous comparison. In both cases the ostensible attraction is the production but the pertinent t question becomes not how good did they rap but how did they intensify and work in parralelle with the qualities of the beat

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well they've both got big booming husky voices. They both were so basic that they got out of the way of the beats quite a lot, or enhanced it with ad libs and shouting.

You wouldn't want to hear a "good" rapper over Hard in da Paint.

Also not to discount their lyrics entirely cos they had memorable phrases. Charisma.

sadmanbarty

I guess you guys covered this but it's almost like rap that has evolved (or regressed) to be something different, despite the New York voice - he leaves these huge pauses between lines. Some of the lines are just one word. Sort of a post carti rapper.

sadmanbarty

This-as I’ve said repeatedly for the past theee years- is precisely why I revere migos.

The crystalised the rhythmic lexicon that carti, pop smoke, da baby (every now and then at least), everyone is working from.

sadmanbarty

Luke liked it when I said the bass on welcome to the party sounded like a cross between dred bass and eski bass. He asked me to post that.