Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Are happy people boring?

Are there examples of artists who were really great until they disastrously became very happy? Or conversely were shite and then lost their legs and became a genius?

(We've maybe covered this already so ignore me if so)
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

I dunno about that, but you get people whose work's rooted in being unsuccessful who don't really know where to go once it happens for them.

I remember in Penman's Prince essay someone saying he got everything he ever dreamed of and it ruined his life.

*Not that that was happiness!
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Yeah easy to say "get in your garden" but I don't know anyone who has one to get in.
    Allotments seem to be big here.... although you can't really call them allotments, as I suppose that implies you were allotted it by someone or something; as far as I can tell if there is an empty bit of land then people just put crappy fences made of old bits of plastic around it and take it. Kinda like a claim in the old west. Once they've got the bit of the land they tend to strew it with rubbish, leave a dog tied up howling mournfully all day and all night... and possibly plant a couple of potatoes.
    Sometimes they build houses, there is a bit on the edge of Lisbon which is a kind of illegal semi-shanty town.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Are there examples of artists who were really great until they disastrously became very happy?

(We've maybe covered this already so ignore me if so)
    Dizzee rascal!

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Yeah easy to say "get in your garden" but I don't know anyone who has one to get in.
    Allotments seem to be big here.... although you can't really call them allotments, as I suppose that implies you were allotted it by someone or something; as far as I can tell if there is an empty bit of land then people just put crappy fences made of old bits of plastic around it and take it. Kinda like a claim in the old west. Once they've got the bit of the land they tend to strew it with rubbish, leave a dog tied up howling mournfully all day and all night... and possibly plant a couple of potatoes.
    Sometimes they build houses, there is a bit on the edge of Lisbon which is a kind of illegal semi-shanty town.
    i was at an adopted site like that in valencia, which a collective had nicified and ended up fighting the municipia who of course realised they wanted it after all

i somehow lucked out with the only allotment i ever heard of in london without a waiting list, opposite my home. it's much as you describe though, mostly overgrown with brambles and bush, plastic flapping gaily in the breeze, rarely anyone about, not much veg at all, dilapidated plots and derelict outbuildings, the whole site neglected and desolate thank goodness, communal horticulture is the way to get at the space, but a properly run site would be less

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

I have a kilo of wildflower seeds here, soon to be nocturnally dispersed on the local greens and verges.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I remember in Penman's Prince essay someone saying he got everything he ever dreamed of and it ruined his life.

*Not that that was happiness!
    Pharrell

^ quoted the wrong thing. That was in your response to a cool artist who went happy naff

I venture there's a direct correlation between the number of exotic holidays you go on a year and how lax your musical standards are.
    I've been pondering this and I think there is something very important in it. I dunno what, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post: