baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Same here I think. This thread spawned from browsing a dating app and being confronted with this endless stream of genuinely smiling people who love travelling and cooking and dogs and maybe there's a funny picture with a drink.

Don't judge the world through the prism of dating apps. Go on the tube first thing on a Monday morning and you will see existential horror sketched on a sea of faces. But maybe it's different in Denmark.

Imagine if people told the truth about their emotional condition on social media though. It might be even worse than it is now.

luka

You're allowed to have a wank on Danish public transport. Call it liberated or call it degenerate. It's in the eye of the beholder

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think this is the right time to ask Entertainment whether hygge is a real thing or made-up bollocks to sell lifestyle supplements in Britain.

luka

No it's literally legal to wank on public transport in Denmark cos every one has the right to sexual expression. I saw it on a documentary

version

The more boring people I know are usually the more settled people, mentally and materially. Sometimes I don't even know what they talk to each other about. They don't seem to have any interests beyond whatever's on TV/Netflix that week, work, going out to dinner and going on holiday. It feels like a life which can be expressed entirely through social media updates and small talk.

luka

There's a few terrible things which typically happen as people advance into their 30s. They get pompous. They get prickly. They get very rigid. They stop being able to take a joke. They get stuck in their ways. Their tastes harden and set. They can't imbibe new information. Can't learn new patterns. It's this overall hardening of the carapace. Very alarming watching friends succumb one after the other.

version

The other end of the spectrum's the people like my brother for whom the party never stops. He's had several mates move out on him or just drift away because they just don't want to live like that anymore and can't keep up.

luka

10 years ago I used to buy weed and acid off this man in his 60s. And he was one of those people where you couldn't decide if he was an inspiration or a cautionary tale. He lived in a tiny flat slept on a futon had a schizophrenic girlfriend had sold drugs since he was about 19 but he'd kept an interest in things. He was still engaged. I remember him playing me a flying lotus record then realising he had it on the wrong speed.

I remember him looking very doddery at a club on his 63rd birthday. On Es and acid and smoking big skunk spliffs, chugging lagers, wobbly dancing.

Maybe a tragedy. Maybe not. Anyway the acid gave him a paranoid breakdown thing and he was never the same again. Lost the twinkle in his eye and died not all that long afterwards.

luka

I remember he looked at a Charles Olson poem, he read aloud
"Pennsylvania Carboniferous" and he said, "it's coal mining country Pennsylvania" and I thought, he's not an idiot this bloke.

entertainment

No it's literally legal to wank on public transport in Denmark cos every one has the right to sexual expression. I saw it on a documentary

i don't think that's true lol

is hygge a real thing? I don't know what kinda concept it's being sold as, it's just a word

luka

What Corpsey is right about is that depressed,people are the most boring people out there. God protect me from depressed people. They're like a disease. Total poison.

luka

Depressed people turn their depression into an entire philosophy. It becomes this whole system. It's a politics. It's an aesthetics. It becomes a set of beliefs about the nature of the world, about reality, about the possible. And all of it is the most lethal poison.

luka

No conversation is ever worth having nothing is ever worth doing because they know in advance its not worth it nothing will come of it because nothing can ever happen. Reality is the state in which nothing can ever happen. Nothing is allowed to happen.

luka

If you're in high spirits they'll try and drag you down. Always. There's nothing they hate more than someone in high spirits. If you're excited about something they'll try and deflate you. If you're hopeful about something they'll try and steer you towards despair.