mvuent

Void Dweller

in the 2000s/early 2010s these completely steady, fade-into-the-background hi hats were still really common. this combined with the overall flatness creates a sense of smooth motion: driving music. bouncy yet still not a million miles from kraftwerk or neu.

here there’s no steady thread. samples tumbling around the stereo field.

this one sounds like it was made with random default samples on fl studio.

the hi hats here are weirdly loud, they sound like the repetitive chatter of some kind of insect you’d hear in the bushes in the summer.

like in the first one his voice sort fades in and out of being noticeably autotuned. a cyborg that only looks artificial in certain lighting.

more pre-2010s flat, straight-line motion. here it’s a military march.

not a cyborg, but no regular human either. the idea of this stuff having a mythological quality, maybe starting to make sense?

pulled out of the past into the present again. 3D and cascading.

sudden reverb at 0:55. a second wtf vocal moment at 1:27.

in planescape torment there’s a character who’s face will bubble or go through other grotesque transformations periodically while he’s talking. some of these vocal mutations or changes in inflection remind me of that.

sounds in the periphery are similarly malleable.

sadmanbarty

“Cyborg but only in certain lighting” is absolutely genius. Your best ever description (other than incomprehensible UK cool)

mvuent

Void Dweller
like what i've heard so far a lot more than i thought i would. (not in the sense of expecting it to be bad, just that i thought i wouldn't get anything out of any of it.) the OP is great btw.

we should definitely drag someone else into writing about a few of these though.

sadmanbarty

here there’s no steady thread. samples tumbling around the stereo field.

i played this one to a girl who has no idea about any of this music. no interest in it. she said that she couldn't hear it as a song. that it was a soundscape.

mvuent

Void Dweller
the order of those first five is cool because it shows how much production aesthetics have changed in the 2010s. i used to think it was just a matter of more "polish" but it's a lot more interesting than that. a deeper change, potentially.

luka

So much of this stuff sounds fucking awful

There's these periods of absolute shitness music goes through. Like London in the road rap years. Where you think, wtf was going on here? Everyone loses their aesthetic compass

sadmanbarty

last man standing is so beautiful. heart wrenchingly beautiful.

both this and nah very much play into si's thing about autotune enabling "hyper soul". an outpouring of emotion that the human body alone is incapable of emitting. an emotion propelled out into the universe by technological augmentation.

luka

Like all the stars are out of alignment. No one can get their bearings. No one is grounded.

sadmanbarty

jus mek a duppy is old testament. those strings like swarms of pests. its plagues. bounty killer has the voice of old testament god, booming like thunder from the heavens.

sadmanbarty

maestro don's certain is great. his vocals like laser slicing through your cognition. i love the bass on that one too. elastic band bouncy bass. those organ flickers are ethereal. the third world compression pushing it all over the edge, turning the intensity up like you've taken to much acid and its absolutely bollocking you.

luka

the order of those first five is cool because it shows how much production aesthetics have changed in the 2010s. i used to think it was just a matter of more "polish" but it's a lot more interesting than that. a deeper change, potentially.

I think you're getting at the same thing? Why do we get these aesthically out of kilter periods where everything sounds tacky and cheap? It's possible to celebrate it and enjoy it. People loved the kitsch and the tackiness of dipset and heatmakers for instance. But what's it about? Not necessarily a bad thing. It's a wanton rejection of 'good taste' of 'proportion' of 'restraint'

luka

Like what Barty was talking about earlier. Give me the collagen lips silicon tits cocaine Las Vegas plastic pyramids

luka

I don't want what's 'good for me' it's that isn't it! Give me the dirtiest nastiest rubbish and I will revel In it

sadmanbarty

Like what Barty was talking about earlier. Give me the collagen lips silicon tits cocaine Las Vegas plastic pyramids

dancehall in 2009 was like some sandy mud hut village and by 2019 its had loads of gulf oligarchs balldoze it and build some huge fuck off shiny dubai city over it.

this list documents that happeneing.