Listen to this part 3: Intensity

entertainment

To me it sounds just like everything else does these days. Before music used to be ammore diverse but recently it seems like everything’s either like this or it’s house.

Just my opinion, don’t all bite my head off! :eek:

Well, as any other music, it commands a certain degree of surrendering. I think that this cognitive exercise that Barty has us all undertaking should channel the experience of seeing something for the first time ever and exploring the nature of it as an alien artifact.

Erase your notion of what is is or should be. Yield to its patterns, immerse yourself in its architecture.

"make the stone stony."

said Viktor Shklovsky

droid

There's a meh effect here, the slow tempo, saturated 'epic' production, one note (almost) 808 synth bass. Every aspect - lyrics, production, theme - all hitting the same notes. Danchell was always great at immediacy and contrast.

This is a variation on a 25 year old riddim... its silly but it hits harder.

droid

All of this stuff sounds to me like a variant of dancehall that takes the bug riddim as year zero.

droid

And whilst I fully admit to not being hugely engaged or fond of current trends in dancehall, I still cant recall hearing anything better than this out of Jamaica in the last few years.

sadmanbarty

everyone: an ancient atlantian metropolis emerges from the sea. it's glistening, glacial palaces echo and reverberate with an alien music unlike any we have heard before. from it's central spire a beam of pure white light is emitted and it paints the heavens an ocean blue. war ends. arrid deserts begin to bloom. man no longer turns on his fellow man, but instead seeks unity and harmony with is brothers and sisters. a new era of transformation blesses the earth and all beings are serene forever more in this eternal paradise.

droid: meh

droid

lol. What can I say? Ive seen empires rise and fall, each less impressive than the last.

sadmanbarty

Well, as any other music, it commands a certain degree of surrendering. I think that this cognitive exercise that Barty has us all undertaking should channel the experience of seeing something for the first time ever and exploring the nature of it as an alien artifact.

Erase your notion of what is is or should be. Yield to its patterns, immerse yourself in its architecture.

"make the stone stony."

said Viktor Shklovsky

you silver tongued charmer. oceanic skandinavian blue eyes. manga-blonde hair. you only work 4 days a week so you're well rested. play football on the weekends so you're all lean and muscular. flawless skin.

and then you whip out your subliminally erotic poetic (second!) language like only a european can and just watch the girls melt.

sadmanbarty

Well, as any other music, it commands a certain degree of surrendering

first sentence and he's already established a dominant and submissive sexual dynamic.

I think that this cognitive exercise that Barty has us all undertaking should channel the experience of seeing something for the first time ever and exploring the nature of it as an alien artifact.

the sexual experience is rendered an event. something new and exciting. exploring one another's bodies.

Erase your notion of what is is or should be.

removes the taboo from it. release yourself. let yourself go. be free.

Yield to its patterns, immerse yourself in its architecture.

immerse our bodies, minds and souls into one another's.

"make the stone stony."

my cock's hard like a rock love

EmpressJess

"make the stone stony."

said Viktor Shklovsky

Not gonna lie, that did make me a bit moist. ;)

entertainment

careful, this is a safe space for us to flaunt around and puff out the intellectual chests, but once a girl comes around to actualize the stakes, we disappear like mice into the crevices

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lol. What can I say? Ive seen empires rise and fall, each less impressive than the last.

I saw them rise and fall before I was born even. Sadly we're going to have to rename sadam barty back to Sandy Batty-Galley to drag him back to his Englishness so that he can live in his garden of Eden.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
There's a meh effect here, the slow tempo, saturated 'epic' production, one note (almost) 808 synth bass. Every aspect - lyrics, production, theme - all hitting the same notes. Danchell was always great at immediacy and contrast.

Finally someone articulated what I've been trying to say. it's ultimately the de-masculinisation (and even de-feminisation) of dancehall to conform to global Americanised diaspora demands. diaspora benzos. the UK doesn't really hold the same amount of sway of being one of the prime consumers of dancehall as it did in the 80s-early 00s.

And ultimately, I had a pretty interesting realisation the other day. I like dark intense dissonant music because one breaks through the abyss to reach gnostic joy and ascend to plateaus that are taken out of reach of most of society. Dionysus vs appollo etc. Speaking strictly personally for me, Barty's music just sounds depressing to me. not in the sense of carrying that mood - tho it can, but because it's not life affirming at all. it's life accepting, which is depressing cos to me that means I don't really need it.

If I may be so brash and use that dichotomy of the 90s, we can also plot a graph like this

appollo
intelligent vs untelligent
Dionysus

(yes i gagged writing that... but you get my drift, replace with conceptual vs immediatist if you must)

My approach is precisely slightly antithetical to that of bliss (and barty's) because I'm intelligent Dionysus. whereas they are intelligent appollo and immediatist Dionysus. For me it's mostly (tho not always) the other way around. I don't really seek contemplative intelligence in meditative or oceanic music etc etc.

For E:
dionysian intelligence:

appollachian immediatism

By far the best track on the album that, but most people seem to disagree. the closest he came to detroit.

immediatism verging into appollachian stupidity.

Last edited:

luka

Barty's music just sounds depressing to me. not in the sense of carrying that mood - tho it can, but because it's not life affirming at all. it's life accepting

This is interesting. And that is how Barty sometimes frames it but I don't know if we need to agree with him there necessarily. I also wonder how much of this is to do with context.

If I played the narcos riddim to most of my peers who like dancehall they would hate it and complain about slackness. In fact I did this, just to wind them up, and that's what happened.

But the slackness of the eighties and early nineties gets a free pass from them. Why? Partly nostalgia for youth but also because it's the past and music which might once have been understood as having a political and cultural dimension is finally allowed to be purely musical and understood and enjoyed as music.

Dancehall about guns and murder and sex are fine so long as it is 30 years old. It no longer exists as a symptom of moral decay.

luka

Ok mate, as I suspected; slackness lyrics and auto tune. . Not for me I’m afraid:(