Listen to this part 3: Intensity

luka

I think it's true that one of the things we value in dancehall is, to put it crudely, it's 'purity'.
The incentive structure is local not the global-universal pop marketplace. The same would go for jungle, or grime or pretty much any other kind of music that dissensus likes.

luka

You have artists that make music for the communities they are a part of. Some of those then go on to become Dizzies or Sean Pauls or what have you. And maybe that's good for them on an individual level. But the music changes and loses most of its idiosyncrasies. It gets levelled out. We've discussed all this together many times I think.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don't try and play the popist card. Sean Paul is (like Shaggy) a very particular kind of dancehall crossover. Unlike say Beenie Man, Vegas, Shabba etc. who broke through because of how Jamaican they were, he made it by watering things down. Unthreatening, cuddly even, only a slight edge of patois - comprehendible to the average punter so everyone could sing along.

Just a little touch of spice. Dancheall korma.

this is 100% true and i like Sean Paul. more global black pop than Jamaican pop.

luka

It's not as straightforward as that because the early records are just him vocallling the popular riddims of the day. He came up through the dancehall scene and was on VP catering to the local market before he was on Atlantic. But I've already spent half the day arguing About Sean Paul, it's not like he's my dad or something. I'm not honour bound to defend him

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Luke Da Paul

I reckon SDP has terrific vocal presence. He is the sole reason to listen to Wiley's "Blasty". Superstar.

Made some right shit obvs

Benny Bunter

Good thread this. Intence is definitely my favourite atm just for these three alone.

That last one kind of cut from the same cloth as Dope, the original subject of this thread.