Danny L Presents: Dissensus Listening Club

sadmanbarty

its funny because internal rhymes were crucial in the emergence of flow, shifting rap from the clunky, lymeric style of rap you had in the 80’s to the naturalistically conversational one you get by the mid-90’s. but when they’re taken to far- when its too rhyme dense- it loses all flow and becomes constipated. the beginning of the first verse reaches that point briefly. you also have the intentionally awkward rhythm of it which you get with mf doom or wayne doing later on. reaching the point of proficiency you can start to do something “wrong” in a smart way. like thelonious monk rap.

i was going to say that you don’t get that kind of wholesome, jolly instrumental not long after this album, but actually it’s too rugged and murky to be like that. there’s an implicit emotional grit in that.

luka

This album was legendary cos it got banned cos of the artwork. So not many people heard it. It was a 'lost classic' till it got a rerelease maybe around 96? Then everyone had to pretend to like it cos it was a lost classic.

luka

It's a lot like another truly terrible album by the jungle brothers called jbeez with the remedy

DannyL

Wild Horses
To be a bit meta for a minute, there's something odd about the reappraisal. All that weight of expectation, lost classic status as Luke says. It's like hearing but not hearing. Wondering if it's gonna be as fresh this time around, worried it might not be.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm actually listening to it now but I can't get going with coherent comments - for one thing that rap is pretty fast, the other is that I've got a three year old bouncing on the sofa next to me shouting about milk. Any contributions will be at John Eden Top 100 pace..

DannyL

Wild Horses
High point so far is the echo-y chord sound in the high end of What A Nigga Know. I think it gives me 80s soul flashbacks.

Don't think the whole thing is as bad as Luke says. Interesting how there's zero menace though. That whole dimension of interest is absent.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I guess the whole thing is a bit jaunty? Jolly? It's gonna really be grating on me after a few more tracks. Is that why you hate it Luke?

Was thinking earlier what was the first rap *album* - this definitely feels like a coherent sound and concept together making a complete package. When did rap start doing this?

luka

High point so far is the echo-y chord sound in the high end of What A Nigga Know. I think it gives me 80s soul flashbacks.

Don't think the whole thing is as bad as Luke says. Interesting how there's zero menace though. That whole dimension of interest is absent.

This is a feature of the early 90s pre The Chronic. All this jaunty stuff. Kids having fun. Carefree. Even when it's political or whatever like brand Nubian it's still got that quality.

luka

Ha! Look at that! Yeah, it is. Jaunty, jolly music. Or partly that's what it is. I love De La. I love Brand Nubian. I like Lord Finesse. I think this also has a kind of overstuffed quality that gets on my nerves. Too much going on. Generally hip hop is good at minimalism and benefits from it.

Last edited:

luka

Wackiness is a bit of a feature of this native tongues and native tongues adjacent music too at times and that's never been my cup of tea. I hate MF Doom too.