Danny L Presents: Dissensus Listening Club

luka

Ha! Look at that! Yeah, it is. Jaunty, jolly music. Or partly that's what it is. I love De La. I love Brand Nubian. I like Lord Finesse. I think this also has a kind of overstuffed quality that gets on my nerves. Too much going on. Generally hip hop is good at minimalism and benefits from it.

Even something like Public Enemy which is made with 500 samples per song and elaborately layered still seems minimal. It's not got this ADD fidgety quality. It's not cluttered. It presents a simple idea in a very direct way.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Been getting side Eye cos of being on a fucking forum instead of talking to my family so I'm out for now.

I do think that trying to consider what the pull is here is interesting. In the absence of menace, machismo, what do we go for?Lyricism? "rappity rap"?

luka

I might see if I can look up some reviews. See what people praise. Maybe the sample 'collages'

luka

Get your family to sign up to dissensus and you can talk to them on here. Best of both worlds.

luka

Having another quick listen to those I think it requires you to reconnect to the 'head nod'.

That's the secret to all that stuff.

sadmanbarty

Pattycakes presents: Nu Grooves: New York House and Techno 1983-1996

Patty has floated the idea of doing a group listening to something.

I nominate this. Anyone fancy starting at 18:30 GMT?

luka

If it's just me and you I can't be bothered. I need at least five people including me and you that's my stipulation