sadmanbarty

the title already made me laugh and then it opened up with that organ. i'm getting so much netherlands i'm going to explode. "thish guysh fuckin crashy guysh" (not yyaldrin).

the organ actually reminds me of miles davis get up with it.

you know what actually, i know i'm not supposed to keep comparing it to theatrics and films and tv shows and so forth, i did suddenly realise that there are strands of avant guard music that only really get picked up by film and tv. so lots of austere atonal classical music became staple horror film stuff.

this one for example this sounds like a trippy bit in mr ben or magic roundabout or something, because only when accompanied by the moving image and narrative and dialogue and so forth does this music become even remotely tennable for the public at large.

this heat organ. the opening of 24 track loop. loads of their tracks actually.

so rubbish barty is hearing this scurrying organ part (2.55 ish maybe) as cartoon mice running around, but if i focus on the bit where it's scratching and and distorting i'm suddenly getting this feeling of it being so immediate as to be sylopsisic. it's not happening outside of me, but rather behind my face. in my head. i told the story on here before of thinking some lsd hadn't worked and then rereading an email i'd sent while on it and realising i was off my head. that email was talking about a similar phenomenon. i was talking about her face being my face or in it or soemthing. the scratchy bits remind of that.

finished at 3.50

sadmanbarty

that first note was nice. i thought i was going to get a whole different side of this music. not buzzing and shrill. warm.

as it goes on actually it is pretty baleric this. nice gentle house. apricot mediterranean sun set. hawaiian shirt.

1.26 stuff. the thing of relating to music with the body going "weow" with my mouth. all metalic this bit. angelic organ. this one's really working on me. the weow bit sounds like a portal. love this. nice american beauty marimbas. this is great. the same colour scheme as kubric's 2001 but more seraphic rather than sci fi. emotionally warmer too.

going all baleric again at 3.40. cosy. soul. john martyn's small hours is in there. this is what american's would call their "happy place". a travel agents idyll, but that actually works; its getting you to feel how a travel agents is trying to make you feel.

finished at 5.10

mvuent

Void Dweller
white noise bit. so i must, must, must try not to hear it as radio play wind! try and be cleverer than that!
imo it's astute to compare this stuff to radio plays. even "insiders" seem to make that connection, e.g. here.

i don't know how many more of these you're planning on doing, but i'm curious if you have any thoughts overall. (i haven't listened much to anything in this playlist yet tbh.) do you think it unlocks anything that "proper" music usually doesn't or can't? any overarching strengths or weaknesses?

luka

imo it's astute to compare this stuff to radio plays. even "insiders" seem to make that connection, e.g. here.

i don't know how many more of these you're planning on doing, but i'm curious if you have any thoughts overall. (i haven't listened much to anything in this playlist yet tbh.) do you think it unlocks anything that "proper" music usually doesn't or can't? any overarching strengths or weaknesses?

I think he's heard more of this stuff than me and you now

mvuent

Void Dweller
obviously it's cheating to just listen to the first few minutes, so at some point--probably once he's done with 203--he'll have to go back and listen to and write up all the hours in each one that he skipped.

sadmanbarty

there are a couple that are just music and so they're fairly self explanatory. the ibiza one. the krautrock one. they operate in the same way as music does.

the stuff that isn't like that i'm starting to think is best not even trying to be perceived as music. the point at which i'll hopefully crack the code is the point at which i figure out what i am supposed to do with it. if it's not music what is it?

not narrative. definitely not that. when i go down that path that's when i'm at my most dismissive. "loony toons", "hammer horror", etc.

one idea i just had was to think of it like drugs or like some neuroscience experiment where they stimulate different parts of the brain. i have to engage with it in that sense. i'd imagine if i can figure out how to do that not in a pretentious thought experiment way, but rather in a real way it might work.

sadmanbarty

the man in that link you sent looks like a right nonce. that's a crimewatch line up picture. one of those people who's so guilty that even a normal photo of them looks like a mugshot.

sadmanbarty

You should get a load of laboratory grade LSD for this thread

luke's always telling me these stories of drugs opening things up for him. all these occasions he didn't get something and then he took a drug and he suddenly did.

whenever i do drugs it just makes me raelly intently go for what i like. it makes me put on my absolute favourite music and all that. they don't tend to let new stuff in, they just make stuff i already like really, really sexy.

the only time in my life when i had anything similar to luke's thing is when i had really bad insomnia. i was doing loads of stuff like watching all these art films. there's this david lynch short film where it's a sitcom but none of the dialogue made sense and everyone had rabbit heads. it sounds fucking awful to me now, but when i was sleep deprived it was a go to; it hit the spot perfectly.

sadmanbarty

He said this about the Basic Channel stuff, iirc.

poetry, paintings, dub, basic channel, uk drill, underground resistance. he says it about everything.

drugs are to luke what sex is to simon reynolds. the unescapable paradigm through which all of life is perceived.

luka

He said this about the Basic Channel stuff, iirc.

Yeah basic channel too. Loads of stuff really. When I say drugs I mean either acid or DMT. Nothing else. Anything else I probably just want the hits thanks very much.

luka

poetry, paintings, dub, basic channel, uk drill, underground resistance. he says it about everything.

drugs are to luke what sex is to simon reynolds. the unescapable paradigm through which all of life is perceived.

True.

sadmanbarty

Yeah basic channel too. Loads of stuff really. When I say drugs I mean either acid or DMT. Nothing else. Anything else I probably just want the hits thanks very much.

on acid i listen to alexander oneil if you were here tonight.

craner

Beast of Burden

the title already made me laugh and then it opened up with that organ. i'm getting so much netherlands i'm going to explode. "thish guysh fuckin crashy guysh" (not yyaldrin).

the organ actually reminds me of miles davis get up with it.

you know what actually, i know i'm not supposed to keep comparing it to theatrics and films and tv shows and so forth, i did suddenly realise that there are strands of avant guard music that only really get picked up by film and tv. so lots of austere atonal classical music became staple horror film stuff.

this one for example this sounds like a trippy bit in mr ben or magic roundabout or something, because only when accompanied by the moving image and narrative and dialogue and so forth does this music become even remotely tennable for the public at large.

this heat organ. the opening of 24 track loop. loads of their tracks actually.

so rubbish barty is hearing this scurrying organ part (2.55 ish maybe) as cartoon mice running around, but if i focus on the bit where it's scratching and and distorting i'm suddenly getting this feeling of it being so immediate as to be sylopsisic. it's not happening outside of me, but rather behind my face. in my head. i told the story on here before of thinking some lsd hadn't worked and then rereading an email i'd sent while on it and realising i was off my head. that email was talking about a similar phenomenon. i was talking about her face being my face or in it or soemthing. the scratchy bits remind of that.

finished at 3.50

This stuff does actually sound like a lot of films I like.

sadmanbarty

sounds like mr brown by bob marley.

ok this one's very difficult not to hear as an old timey film.

no that's ok, gone all weird now. lets see if if can experiance it. pure sensational. like a rollercoaster of a blowjob.

i can't remember if mantras are supposed to just be a placeholder thing in your head so you don't get distracted by anything else. this could owrk in that way. it's just stimuli that keeps your brain occupied with something that isn't thoughts. that way of doing it works with me.

on the one hand using it like that makes it work, but it does make this thread boring because it's just me having a relax. nothing interesting to say.

that's 5 minutes of that.