craner

Beast of Burden
Has anyone watched that Freeview channel Talking Pictures? I found myself watching ‘Sunday Night at the Palladium’ from 1960 on, uh, Sunday night. I was totally transfixed by it. This was on it:

sadmanbarty

it sounded like feet shuffling on grass at the beginning. i found it a bit sinister and unpleasant, which surprised me.

it made me think that you could actually use the representational nature of the music; make it a sonic rorschach test or free association.

what do you see in that music and what does it say about you.

so i hear shrieking synths. i hear them as feminine. domestic violence. etc.

use each little bit as a launching pad to explore where your brain's taking you. you can examine yourself with it.

or on a less personal level just to explore something me and luke have talked about before which is how the body related to music; so i'm relating to a lot of these synths as though they were my own voice; i'm empathising with them. the synths are shrieking and strained and now so am i.

nice bit at 4.58 where it suddenly sounds like choir that wasn't hackeneyed. a way of reimagining a choir that's lost all the naff cultural baggage that choir music has picked up over the centuries.

gone all silent at 5.53

sadmanbarty

this is the soundtrack to the opening of genesis. the world forming from nothing. form forming from nothingness in fact. slowly though. 1.30 in and it's still particles vibrating in the void.

at 1.50 or so starting to get solar flashes. not suns or stars. still formless. just cosmic explosions. nuclear explosions. we're out of the darkness.

you hear the first bit of solid mass at 2.57. a giant mineral rock floating through space.

3.30 we're in the middle of the sun. the first form.

woah! opera! then soul! well that fucked up my whole schtick. we've jumped forward 6 billion years.

4.25 or so and we're back to something else. the death of the universe. dying suns. the heat leaving the universe. all life dead millenia ago.

its cold and icey and dead.

there are these flicker of life. of culture. real music and voices. maybe radio signals emmited from earth 2 million years ago that are getting trapped inside an aseroid belt.

ok 9.25, that's that.

luka

Craner do you mind doing that last one? Set a good example. Show him how it's done

luka

Sometime the youth need a bit of guidance. A positive role model that's where you come in

luka

You have two dissensus windows open. One playing the beautiful song, the other writing your impressions in the box

blissblogger

poetry, paintings, dub, basic channel, uk drill, underground resistance. he says it about everything.

drugs are to luke what sex is to simon reynolds. the unescapable paradigm through which all of life is perceived.

projecting again, young randy lad!

probably the paradigm is actually music itself

either that, or food / shitting.