luka

It's going to be a long night... and morning, and night, and morning, and night....

sadmanbarty

i love at the beginning that gradual, linear fluctuation of intensity. like waking up from a dream. blurred eyes coming back into focus.

the sine waves are really pure and innocent. very emotional. it sounds like a baby discovering the world. all through sensation. it seeing the sun for the first time. it touching grass for the first time. putting its thumb in its mouth. smelling rain on the pavement.

then you get that thing come in that sounds like a cooing pigeon (like the one in steve reich’s ‘it’s gonna rain’).

for music that’s all about technology, it’s completely signifying the natural world. as i said, grass, the sky, pigeons, babies. i’m not hearing spaceships or robots or anything.

its passed over to another bit now where it does just sound like loads of farts piling one on top of the other.

then parakeet noises. bird chatter.

toads gurgling. sounds of a pond or a rainforest. squawks in the distance. droplets of water.

it went silent, so skipped ahead a bit. sounds like clanging metal in a big warehouse intermixed with the beggining of herbie hancock’s sextant. an alarm ringing ding a ling a ling. very much a factory.

i'm going to dinner now. it's 10 minutes in.

one hot take i'd give before i go is that technology in theory allows you to create any sound you what. sounds that are incomprehensible. sounds that you've never heard before. what's interesting about this is that it seemingly strives to mimic real-life soundscapes (bird calls, factories, mr tea's post-dinner of the day flatulent attacks, etc.). it's like some dystopia in which we're all kept comatose in these pods and live in an idyllic virtual reality world. its all these artificial technological mimckiries of a beautiful life. a hologram of some beautiful rural landscape. but its all artifical. its all a dream. its hollow. and there's a part of you that knows it.

luka

sounds that are incomprehensible. sounds that you've never heard before. what's interesting about this is that it seemingly strives to mimic real-life soundscapes

That's one possibility. Or it may be that it is very difficult to create a noise which doesn't remind you, no matter how obliquely, of some other noise. And the same would go for rhythms.

luka

In the same way that you might see faces or galleons or whales in the clouds. Or find forms in abstract art that seem representational.

luka

It might be more interesting to listen to it without thinking of it as representational. To allow it to be abstract. Or to switch back and forth between the two modes.

luka

This is my favourite one. Love playing this when I'm on weird drugs. One of my favourite bits of music this opener.

sadmanbarty

That's one possibility. Or it may be that it is very difficult to create a noise which doesn't remind you, no matter how obliquely, of some other noise. And the same would go for rhythms.

Yeah, that was bit dumb of me actually.

blissblogger

It's going to be a long night... and morning, and night, and morning, and night....

funnily enough this is one of my many, many never-started blog projects - to go through the Creel Pone discography one by one and try to say something about them that wasn't just technical, how-they-made-it writing (which is the default mode in most writing about musique concrete and avant-electronics - either that or just recapitulating the often lofty goals / inspirations / thematics of the particular record). something that was primarily rooted in a sensory experience of the music and the spaces it conjured in your mind. while also incorporating some elements of the how and the why.

doing one a week, i estimated it would take over 4 years to go through the entire 250 or so releases (many of them double LPs, a few triples!)

i would chip in here and now but i'm fearfully busy on multiple fronts

Last edited:

blissblogger

This is my favourite one. Love playing this when I'm on weird drugs. One of my favourite bits of music this opener.

that's my favorite one too, with a few others a millimetre or two behind it. particularly love the Peter Eotvos one

Department of Silly Voices (again, the puerile, Python loving part of me - although the Goons would be even more apposite i think, but a bit before my time)

sadmanbarty

i'll do this one next then.

oh for fuck's sake, slipping straight away into the classic barty turns everything into a school play. the beggning very much reminded me of psycho. same black and white. same type of horror, as told through a 50's chic. the same tonal tricks to evoke feelings of mental instability; the trumpet in rosemary's baby when she screams "what have you done to him" looking at her baby.

but enough of that. i've got to be better.

that bit was very mournful. a great way to start the song.

laughter and chattering. the way that stimuli becomes sentient on hallucinogenic. all your sensations become communicative feedback. you're in a circuit with the world.

then it's that reverby scraping bit. caves.

all blippy bits. sorry, can't help it; it's like tom and jerry zipping back and forth.

then there's that swelling. almost like tympany. that's the bit just after the woosh you get on dmt. it's still reverberating in your system. the adrenline still flowing through you.

those bits like piano. it sounds like not getting the right impact you want. hitting something and it's not budging. it's inhibiting.

gone to fizzy dial up sounds. getting higher and higher pitched. wooooaaaaaaa.

thud. and a soft hiss.

sounds like feet walking upstairs. again this sense of sentience. a bit druggy paranoia where you think you're in the house alone and then there are these bangs that make you all uncofortable.

spitting water out your mouth with your tongue.

loads of german birds talking in a rabble.

wow then that hum overtakes them. fades them out. eerie. erasing them. or where they even real in the first place.

gorgeous, gorgeous "pad" type sound now. like the sun rising.

8 minutes in and its gone silent, which i'll use as my cue to finish this entry.

my hot take on this one is that it's apparitional. not in a naff sense (as i said, it could be a druggy kind of apparitional where you're getting these external consciousnesses interacting with you. or schizophrenia. it's inhuman stimuli suddenly being read as communication.