Closed Circuits - Keys, Lucifer and other works

DannyL

Wild Horses
Closed Circuits/Chris is a friend of mine who relocated to Portugal a few years ago. I'm a big fan of his music which has been described as "like Leonard Cohen being bothered by Coil". His vocals remind me a bit of Scott Walker. It's that weird situation where one of your mates makes music and it's actually good. He has a new album out in a few days so I thought I'd start a thread. Like lots of artists, he's struggling to pick up any interest so if you like it please give him a bit of love.

Would be interested to hear what people think regardless:

Maybe he falls in that difficult place as too dissonant and electronic for the indie kids but too straight SSW for the electronica world. Idk.

I helped him shoot this video a few years ago. He nearly had a heart attack walking into the cold sea by Dungeness.

Best of can be found here:
https://closedcircuits.bandcamp.com/

luka

You shouldn't have said he's your mate cos now he seems like just a normal bloke not one of the shining ones. Has a deflating effect.

luka

It's weird. But I reckon if you quickly edit that post and say, this is some strange thing I've stumbled on all I know about him is he's a sorcerer and lives in a lightning blackened tower in Romania it will be easier cos it will give it an aura

luka

Finding the audience is definitely the problem for people. As Barty was saying recently and we all know, there is a Craner audience out there in the world. But they don't know he exists. And likewise I'm sure there is an audience for your mate. This is why the vacancies get filled by people with good agents/management and any potential meritocracy is stymied.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah completely agree. Things like Bandcamp can be great liberating from oppressive contracts and the like. But doing all the marketing and so on off your own back is a real ball breaker. Will start a bandcamp thread at some point.