version

I can't work out whether I actually like these films or not. There's something really shit about them, but I can't help but come back to certain scenes and images. I haven't bothered with any but the first two, but there's just something about them. They're a bit like a much nastier Ghostbusters, same sort of feel in terms of the way the effects look and sound, the quality of the film, the supernatural elements.

The first one reminds me of the first Friday 13th in that you go in expecting Jason/Pinhead to be the villain due to their being the face of the thing, but it's actually Jason's mother/Frank. There's the Gremlins thing too where you get a character meeting some clunky ethnic stereotype selling an arcane object to kick the whole thing off.

Does it come up in Land or anyone like that at all? It's one of those things that seems as though it could have a life beyond the page/screen. An idea people can run with in the vein of Lovecraft et al.

hellraiser-cover-web-750x321.jpg

Last edited:

luka

Not seen it I saw Lord of illusions recently that was quite good I heard hellraiser is rubbish though

sadmanbarty

the 2nd one's good. the first one's rubbish. its just set in this house in west london. the 2nd one the go to cenobte world and it's all magical

version

The second one's one of the nastiest films I've ever seen. There's this evil doctor who gives a lunatic who thinks he's covered in bugs a straight razor and lets him go to town on himself on this weird, haunted mattress.

luka

Barty has got a 1980s kid appreciation for video nastys. He's a man out of time.

sadmanbarty

The second one's one of the nastiest films I've ever seen. There's this evil doctor who gives a lunatic who thinks he's covered in bugs a straight razor and lets him go to town on himself on this weird, haunted mattress.

i don't remeber all that. i just remember it was like a bondage wizard of oz.

droid

The first 30 minutes of Hellraiser 2 is great. Filthy lunatics, brain surgery, asylum hell portal. All goes very silly after that. The visual effects are particularly bad, and the matte painting sucks. Have to admire the scope though, of it even if they failed miserably to follow through.

sadmanbarty

I don’t care too much about the body horror stuff. That’s very much like Americans talking about boogers. It’s a rebellion against something I’ve never needed to rebel against.

droid

Barker has had a mostly terrible cinema run, and is pretty overrated in the annals of horror, but there is some really great stuff in the books of blood. "Down, Satan!" has always stuck with me.

luka

Another good one is that one from Eskimo. What is it from please? The claw my master
or whatever it says