Best old dissensus posters names

luka

I do find it weird in as much as it's an easy gang to join. It's not demanding. You don't need to know how to read your own name. It's easy going

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's weird how many people signed up then never posted anything.

i always think it's weird how some people signed up years and years ago, made a few posts initially but then disappear, and then all of a sudden become active and post daily. and it is as if they have always been there.

RWY

i always think it's weird how some people signed up years and years ago, made a few posts initially but then disappear, and then all of a sudden become active and post daily. and it is as if they have always been there.

Pretty much

RWY

I feel like I know some of you on here better than my current group of friends, despite never interacting with many of you

RWY

I initially stopped posting on here back in 2015 when the deep tech thread ran it's course and nothing else appeared to fill that space previously occupied by the grime/funky/jackin/deep tech threads in the music sub. I thought that all the stuff that Simon talked about in the conceptronica piece along with deconstructed club would become the next focus of the forum but then I guess the people most passionate about those scenes reside elsewhere online - probably twitter for conceptronica and private facebook groups for deconstructed club. I then continued to browse and read the forum for a while but at some point I must have given it a break for a year or two because I don't remember Barty's transformation into a central pillar of the forum (and the beginning of his double act with Luka) or Third turning up. I think it was deleting twitter two years ago that led me back initially to browsing the thought, politics and art/literature/films sections of the forum on a daily basis and then, gradually, into posting the odd post here and there. I still find this place the most interesting and useful space online for discussions on the above topics, I think partly because it's easy to quickly build up an understanding of everyone's personalities and stances (unlike places like Reddit where you generally have no context behind the contributers), and also because it doesn't seem to have the narcissistic intellectual and curatorial oneupmanship of twitter (spending just 10 minutes on there browsing the thoughts and opinions of the likes of Owen Hatherley etc sends me into a rage.) I also like how there is a shared experience of living and working in London amongst some of us on here - whenever Luka or Barty or Third talk about their experiences of London, they are talking about geographical space that I also have memories and experiences of - I don't really get that anywhere else online

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
There is a unique mix of real life and virtual relationships that overlap on here. I do wonder how lurkers react to all of that, so your account of deciding to rejoin the fray is heartening.

sufi

lala
it's amazing how adopting online names has transformed us into superheroes
(Craner, Eden and Luka being the exceptions as they can use their own names as they must already have been superheroes or something?)
how banal it would be to know that HMGovt's actual name is ... doris bland or james dull or something

the pseudonyms allow us to realise our dematerialised self-actualisation

sorry craner, wrong thread? don't zap me with your lazer eyes

RWY

There is a unique mix of real life and virtual relationships that overlap on here. I do wonder how lurkers react to all of that, so your account of deciding to rejoin the fray is heartening.

Thanks Craner. I did meet up with a few of the main contributers (Datwun, Trilliam, Corpsey) to the Deep Tech thread on various occassions back in 2013/2014 and did spend quite a lot of time back then talking with Datwun away from the forum, but yes, I do appreciate that there are relationships on here that span decades in both the online and offline spheres - as a lurker, you quickly get that impression and have to try your best to work out who knows who (and why)

Leo

wonder if dissensus is a weird form of a reality show for lurkers. they somehow end up tuning in to our little world, perhaps prompted through word-of-mouth or a social media mention, and get hooked on the characters and story/conversation lines. we have our lead actors and supporting cast, some of whom are stock characters and others who exhibit a development arc. there are occasional reruns, as well as reoccurring characters from the past who make periodic appearances but aren't written into the day-to-day story line.

when our rating start to dip, we introduce a mega-thread (dematerialization, etc.) to goose engagement. if that fails, we stage a spectacular confrontational blow up between cast members, usually sparked by something innocuous but representative of deeper convictions (or resentments).