Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: When are you an interesting writer?

It's hard to work with something you don't find interesting yourself though.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    It's hard to work with something you don't find interesting yourself though.
    ah but i was just going to add, that you, the writer, being intensely interested in a subject is no guarantee that what you write about it will be interesting - either as prose, or indeed as a piece about the thing you're interested in that is intended to get others interested in it as well

it's very easy to get lost in the woods of research, lovely little facts you can't bear not to use, clogging it up with information information information

such that you lose the wood for the trees - burying the big thought that might hook the passerby not already invested in the subject

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Part of the appeal of doing something physical is that it's very clear when you're good at it. There's forever an emperor's new clothes thing in my mind with anything artistic. Joyce is considered a master, but it could all be bollocks whereas you can't argue that Messi isn't a good footballer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Id say it's about pursuits with a clear goal, rather than physicality per se. Eg dancing divides people massively

Yeah,

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I don't write because I don't really have anything to say or any ideas of my own.
    I think for lots of people it's the act of writing itself that creates things to say. Like you see what you want to say emerge out of the words on the page. But without some words there first it can't emerge, there's no shape for it to fill in to.

I say "lots of people"...I only know like a dozen writers and most of them are on dissensus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon silverdollarcircle For This Useful Post:

Most of my writing that I've not only liked at the time but gone on liking has had an automatic aspect to it. Literally not knowing from one phrase to the next what will end up having been written. I do edit a bit, but the initial process has to be guided by non-conscious impulses. When it works out, I find out what I really think and feel about something - or maybe I had no definite thoughts or feelings about it until they were written; but they tend to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon silverdollarcircle View Post
    I think for lots of people it's the act of writing itself that creates things to say. Like you see what you want to say emerge out of the words on the page. But without some words there first it can't emerge, there's no shape for it to fill in to.

I say "lots of people"...I only know like a dozen writers and most of them are on dissensus
    There's a quote I like that I can never remember and I can never remember who said it
    But it's something along the lines of the poem tells the poet what he thinks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

What writing on the street has helped me with is emotion. Doing the emotion head on. Articulating it and aestheticising it but letting it retain its full power. I might be the only one. I done quite a lot of poems for people with terminal illness or people who have lost a loved one. I've written more love poems than anyone who has ever lived. And I do them properly. Proper love poems with no jokes and no undermining the emotion. Poems that make people burst into tears on the spot. That's maybe, maybe what I'm proudest of. Although I would not publish that stuff ever.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

That's me boasting. I've had a few beers and whiskys. Self aggrandising.
    Last edited by luka; 14-02-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Although I would not publish that stuff ever.
    Maybe you should.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Maybe you should.
    I don't have them anyway. I give them away.

If you do something like that you have to keep it completely pure. Even if you're a horrible person. Or it won't work. It has to be for them. No photograph. Nothing. Give it away. Be horrible in the rest of your life. But that you have to keep pure or you won't be able to win the trust you need to operate.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

On the other hand, spread them far and wide and maybe they'll help more people.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post: