Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: When are you an interesting writer?

I can't I never would. I'm massively superstitious about this stuff.

You need to put some more rhymes in them.

Get the punters on your side!
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Im imagining a feel good movie about the street poet who makes the bereaved and smitten cry with the power of his words. When he falls on hard times his patrons band together through a series of unlikely coincidences to collect the lost and scattered fragments of his best work and save him from destitution and penury.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Like magnolia directed by richard curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Im imagining a feel good movie about the street poet who makes the bereaved and smitten cry with the power of his words. When he falls on hard times his patrons band together through a series of unlikely coincidences to collect the lost and scattered fragments of his best work and save him from destitution and penury.
    I'm not far off having to rely on this unlikely scenario

You could be played by Ed Sheeran.

You're right actually droid that is a solid scenario for a rom com.

Street poet Brit woos American beauty by writing poems about how unhappy her relationship with a high powered businessman must be.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

At the climax, SHE writes HIM a poem.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Part of the appeal of doing something physical is that it's very clear when you're good at it. There's forever an emperor's new clothes thing in my mind with anything artistic. Joyce is considered a master, but it could all be bollocks whereas you can't argue that Messi isn't a good footballer.
    sports-obsessed Drake said something similar, it was to do with some awards ceremony, about how he and another artist who didn't get an award like some thought they should - and he said 'we have to work in an opinion-based field, unlike with sports which is results-based '

that's one of the things people who like sport like about it, isn't it - that it's supposedly pure - a player or team either has the right stuff or doesn't - it's a completely clear-cut metric. inarguable.
    Last edited by blissblogger; 14-02-2020 at 11:23 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon silverdollarcircle View Post
    I think for lots of people it's the act of writing itself that creates things to say. Like you see what you want to say emerge out of the words on the page. But without some words there first it can't emerge, there's no shape for it to fill in to.

I say "lots of people"...I only know like a dozen writers and most of them are on dissensus
    There's an interview with a producer called M.E.S.H. where he talks about this in the context of music via graphic design:

You've previously talked about working with presets. There's a producerly orthodoxy that you should steer clear of the presets. But that doesn't seem to worry you so much.

I don't want to sit there with three sine waves making little envelopes all day and then end up having some really boring synth sound. I mean, some people are really good at it—producers who make sounds that are more synth-based. I think my sounds are more sample-oriented. Even the synths that I like a lot are more sample-based. It's almost like with digital graphics: it's raster vs. vector. I'm more raster when it comes to sound.

[...]

I really, really hate starting with a blank slate, it drives me insane.
    This seems like the kind of approach that lends itself to poetry more than prose. Something which doesn't demand as rigid a structure. I can't imagine just chasing each word resulting in a particularly good novel, surely you'd also need some idea of an overarching plot, themes, characters and so on? I guess you could get the first bit down like that then feel your way through, find ways of stitching things together and sussing out what you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    You could be played by Ed Sheeran.
    I shouldn't rise to this should I

Yeah, the main protagonist would be the sexy American tourist, struck by Ed's hangdog eyes and extreme poverty, realising she has to save this scrawny ginger savant - and falling in love in the process.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Rising above it. I'm older and wiser now.

Daisy Ridley could be the British friend who warns of the perils of falling for a word urchin - but soon realises there's more to this filthy mendicant than meets the eye.

Cameos from Danny Dyer & Boris Johnson.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

This thing practically writes itself.