Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When are you an interesting writer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default When are you an interesting writer?

You can sometimes be an interesting writer, can’t you? When? Under what conditions? I’m interested in the types of places you were in when you wrote things that you felt were meaningful or succeeded in some way. And it doesn’t have to be published stuff, it could be text messages or tweets.

I’m partly interested in what you think good writing is, but I’m more interested in what you think the conditions were, in your life and head and relationships… for you to write things that clicked or moved others, or yourself.

So it’s about quality, what you see as perceptive or compelling stuff. Not necessarily inspiration or productivity.

And it could be about validation, boredom, argument, being organised and disciplined, love, criticism, getting paid, answering a question, knowing your subject, imagined audience, no audience, revenge, loneliness, calm, logic, embarrassment etc

I know it’s a stupid question but I don’t want any “it depends” or modesty, thanks!

For me its-

-write quickly (this is important because you don't want your brain to figure out what's going on. Don't give it time)
    -dont think at all about who the audience is or even if there is an audience
    -deliberately adopt positions that you don't really believe. If I write what I whole heatedly believe it gets v boring v quickly

Oh and write when yr in a good mood so you can see the humour in things. Not in a bantz way, but in the sense of seeing the absurdity.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Simon silverdollarcircle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon silverdollarcircle View Post
    -deliberately adopt positions that you don't really believe. If I write what I whole heatedly believe it gets v boring v quickly
    But do you actually believe this or are you just saying it?
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

What I tend to say is that writing is done outside of time and information exists outside of time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Shakespeare's sonnets return to this idea constantly. The writer is outside of time. Information is outside of time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

I term the Immortal One a plasmate, because it is a form of energy; it is living information. It replicates itself—not through information or in information—but as information.
    The plasmate can crossbond with a human, creating what I call a homoplasmate. This annexes the mortal human permanently to the plasmate. We know this as the "birth from above" or "birth from the Spirit." It was initiated by Christ, but the Empire destroyed all the homoplasmates before they could replicate.
    https://jacobsm.com/deoxy/deoxy.org/pkd_tcs.htm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well, I dunno, it's weird isn't it?
    I write quite a lot. I write a lot on here and part of what determines whether I'm interesting on here is the people I'm having a conversation with. What happens on dissensus is, you turn up, and you talk to whoever a hanging around at the time. So you form these little ensembles. Which take you in one direction or another.

I do my poetry thing by the Thames. Write a poem for someone in a couple of minutes and I'm totally sure why I'm really good some days. I haven't quite worked it out, although usually I'm at my best when I've gone every day for a few days, or when I've gone back after taking a few days off.

The poetry I write for myself I don't write very much of. The last real thing I wrote, which is amazing, I wrote because I was under psychic attack and I needed to fight back. It was a desperate last ditch attempt made out of compulsion. The thing before that was an attempt to write about a bad trip. The thing before that just turned everything into itself a whole new way of writing, just poured out, possessed me.

I dunno really but you just have to write from where you are at that given time and not write from where you wish you were. People put too much emphasis of finding your voice, I don't know I necessarily believe in that. You just find any voice that will talk to you. See where it takes you.

What's your opinion beagle? What makes you an interesting writer?

Woops is a better poet than Luka.

Having a theme I suppose in your case.

Laser focus on a single issue.

I've never really written anything, in any case not enough to discern such pattern. A love letter here and there, fragments of essays never finished. The other day Barty had a sexual paroxysm over a post I did on here and even though it was very sarcastic, it was probably the most excitement ever elicited from words I've put together.

I do want to write something at some point, though. I like it a lot. Just putting together sentences is exciting.

I like those bits about taking different perspectives and not concerning yourself with 'your voice'. There are voices, and if you do have one maybe it's something that restricts, your limit, rather than something precious to uncover.

I go to stranger places when I have to do something that bores me. I also think in conversation with clever people about something you both don't know too much about. Sometimes helps if you fancy them but sometimes that holds you back a lot too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shiels For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    The last real thing I wrote, which is amazing, I wrote because I was under psychic attack and I needed to fight back. It was a desperate last ditch attempt made out of compulsion. The thing before that was an attempt to write about a bad trip. The thing before that just turned everything into itself a whole new way of writing, just poured out, possessed me.
    I'd like to read these if you share them

Quote Originally Posted by shiels View Post
    I'd like to read these if you share them
    They're too long to post here. And anyway Beagle might say something mean about them and destroy my confidence.

There's this audio version of the first book I did

https://archive.org/details/vegemp