Thirdform's Blog

sadmanbarty

This is just a suggestion. Obviously don't stress yourself out about it, but it might be useful to distract you from your slump a bit. (Also we're all dying to read a thridform blog).

Third’s blog’s going to be published every Monday.

The format of the blog is that it’s going to have a quote or a few quotes at the top like Reynolds’ Wire hardcore piece did and it’s going to have a song at the bottom (even if the essay’s not about music). I’d imagine each week the blog would be between 500-1000 words, but obviously it could be less and it could be more.

Day 1:

Third comes up with an idea for that weeks blog and spunks out every idea he has on the topic.

Day 2:

He takes all those ideas and arranges them in bullet point form into sections to get an idea of how the piece will flow.

So for example if the piece was about why Omar Khorshid is better than the Beatles he might plan it like this:

Paragraph 1: The acclaim the Beatles receive

Quote from Mojo magazine about their musical accomplishments

Quote from Q magazine about their cultural impact

Paragraph 2: Rebutting the acclaim

Melodic-centrism is regressive in light of the rhythmic innovations of James Brown and timbral innovations of [x artists].

Their cultural impact is bad because of [x reason].

Paragraph 3: Omar Khorshid

His guitar tone has [x effect]

His use of synthesizers points to the future

[Etc.]

Paragraph 4: Khorshid Song vs Beatles Song

The rhythms are better because of…

The sounds he uses are better because of…

[Etc.]

Day 3:

Research stuff. Read the stuff you need to. Get quotes you want to use. Listen through someone’s discography. All that.

Add all the bits and pieces to your bullet point outline.

Day 4:

Write first draft.

Day 5:

Write second draft.

Possibly dd some more ideas or do a little more research.

Day 6:

Final draft.

Day 7:

Publish.

Put the link on dissensus and twitter and everyone can have a chat about it.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

What kind of stuff do you want to read third write about?

Electro and lil jon.

Marx and the ummah

A primer on turkish music.

Why resseau was wrong.

the aesthetics of obliteration (robo sodom techno)

what else?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Is this thread a good idea? If you're in distress you don't need more hassle to be productive. I get the intention is well meant but....

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't think it was a bad idea, certainly not of ill intent, but on reflection can see how it might backfire. I did add some suggestions and joined in, but deleted them in the end, because I reckon Danny is probably right.

sadmanbarty

how about i edit all the original post to ensure it doesn't feel pressurising and all the other posts get deleted so that something that's supposed to be positive isn't tarred with negativity.

luka

ive typed a few responses but decided all they would do is inflame the situation. I think Danny knows that wasn't The slickest move on his part and I'm sure he's regretting it.

Patty, if you want to address Barty about his behaviour and let him know he's hurt your feelings then do so. But they're your feelings and not thirds or entertainments.

i don't think we need a public meeting in the town square to discuss the best way to treat third. Presumably he comes here cos he likes it not cos he wants therapy from the most emotionally inept men on planet earth.

sadmanbarty

The good thing is, I can’t think of anything that’d cheer third up more than loads of people telling me I’m wrong. :crylarf: