Damn, Andy Weatherall is dead

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
He did an amazing set on NYE @ Wang at the turn of midnight one year. Was off my nut, said happy new year to him when we passed in the corridor. He was so sweet and friendly. Same night I said the same to squarepusher and he was a total cunt. In short, Andy was a sweetheart. RIP

droid

Only spoke to him a few times, but he always seemed very nice. RIP.

This is immense.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Most deaths of people who're not friends don't really touch me that much but this one does for some reason. He seems so proximate to me and my generation and rode (shaped) so many of the same musical waves we've all lived through, from Boys Own onward. Also made the only decent indie-dance crossover records in existence, I'd contend.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He played in Lisbon like two weeks ago but we were out of town. Girlfriend did go to Cologne to see him at a book launch in November.... crazy and sad.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But yeah that's it Dan, on facebook it's crazy cos all the people my age (or a little older) grew up with a scene that he was such an important part of and so loads of them knew or know people who know him.... so there is some kind of personal sadness mixed in with the symbolic "end of an era" type thing. A lot of old ravers will be feeling as though their youth has a final full stop on it now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Aww fucking hell, I've just seen. Way, way before his time. I must've seen him more than any other DJ. This is way shit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bloody hell. i always rated him as someone who never ever compromised. more a post-punk than an ibiza type person. i remember reading an interview with him where he said around 93-94 he was playing all those big clubs like cream but had to take a step back cos he thought he could make it big but had better records than most djs on that circuit. hard to find so many heads like those.

cheers for introducing me to Juice records australia as well Andy proper hard acid

luka

I've never heard any of his music but I did see him in Kings Cross once. He was on the down escalator. I was on the up escalator. A brief encounter.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He did an amazing set on NYE @ Wang at the turn of midnight one year. Was off my nut, said happy new year to him when we passed in the corridor. He was so sweet and friendly. Same night I said the same to squarepusher and he was a total cunt. In short, Andy was a sweetheart. RIP

Wang was my go-to night for NYE (and throughout the year) for a long time, so I was probably at the same night. Me and the Mrs bumped into him at the station the morning after he played a small festival in Devon about a year and a half ago and found the same thing - lovely guy, a real enthusiast, no rock-star ego at all.

(And you're not the first person I've heard say that Tom Squarepusher is a right twat...)

DannyL

Wild Horses
But yeah that's it Dan, on facebook it's crazy cos all the people my age (or a little older) grew up with a scene that he was such an important part of and so loads of them knew or know people who know him.... so there is some kind of personal sadness mixed in with the symbolic "end of an era" type thing. A lot of old ravers will be feeling as though their youth has a final full stop on it now.

This is exactly it. It's a death that has suggests our own mortality, but it's not just personal, it's that whole cultural moment.

DannyL

Wild Horses
My sister tagged me on Facebook to remind me of an old tape I had. I taped him and Bobby Gillespe on Kiss late one evening, playing the most lethal set of downtempo soul, rock, reggae. It was about 1 in the morning and I stayed up late, taping it. So many, many absolute fire tunes. Heptones "I shall be released", Patti Smith "Piss Factory", James Carr "Dark End of the Street, Aretha live doing "Nightlife ain't no good life". It was so fucking good, every tune was a fucking revelation Impeccable taste, a real distinct aesthetic carved out of collecting. I guess that was something else that marked him out and that I (and many others) identified with, records as a kind of practice, part of the identity. That space that others like Coldcut, DJ Shadow and so many others came out of.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
My sister tagged me on Facebook to remind me of an old tape I had. I taped him and Bobby Gillespe on Kiss late one evening, playing the most lethal set of downtempo soul, rock, reggae. It was about 1 in the morning and I stayed up late, taping it. So many, many absolute fire tunes. Heptones "I shall be released", Patti Smith "Piss Factory", James Carr "Dark End of the Street, Aretha live doing "Nightlife ain't no good life". It was so fucking good, every tune was a fucking revelation Impeccable taste, a real distinct aesthetic carved out of collecting. I guess that was something else that marked him out and that I (and many others) identified with, records as a kind of practice, part of the identity. That space that others like Coldcut, DJ Shadow and so many others came out of.

Sounds really good, do you have a track list?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
he could not be pigeon-holed into the term indie dance. he knew how to come with the ruff electro as much as anyone. confused punk-soulboy i remember him putting it as, and that's always stuck with me.