Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scenes as musical universes

The cartoon physics thread is playing with the same ideas.

the shock of the new and the shock of the impossible are mysterious phenomena - because, you would think, simply by your experiencing it, the Newness would almost instantly evaporate - it would by definition be no longer new, it would seem increasingly familiar - something you were used to and had assimilated

likewise, simply by dint of existing, the quality of impossibility would immediately cancel itself out, becoming part of the realm of the possible and thinkable

but in fact that doesn't happen

the shock of the new can sustain itself quite a long time, through slightly differently inflected iterations of that newness

and moreover, even more mysteriously, if you hear something from the past that was once shocking newly / inconceivable / impossible, it still has that effect on a listener (or viewer or reader or...) even though all kinds of things have subsequently intervened and surpassed it - even though the art in question has been domesticated and become middlebrow or institutionalized

there's something about the breaking through into the unknown that permanently adheres to that work, continues to inhere to it

i really think it does and it's not an effect that relies on historical projection or mentally establishing the original context

it's a mysterious quality of the work itself

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

andré bretton decides to make dub.

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    Thanks to introducing this outfit. New for me anyways

newness can sustain itself for longer than you might imagine compared to how quickly many things become boring,

but considering the hundreds of thousands of years of human life that took place before amen breaks theres many things that retain the special effect of impossibleness after theyve become commonplace. the audible seams of a cut up break made people move in a different way than they ever had, the instantaneous digital jumps in a recorded drum loop can't be replicated in a continuous analog physical space but they make people dance like cgi characters.

that other version of da maytrix tune is the best song ever made

Music has this effect of calling in to being new worlds.

It would be impossible to imagine punk without the aesthetic of the music. The music called into being the culture. It installed this intersubjective gestalt in the consciousness of its audience. That whole world had to be imagined, invented out of nothing. It wasn't a part of reality that the music could describe or portray or leverage into an expression. It was something that was impossible before the music made it possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to entertainment For This Useful Post:

This is delivering "the shock of the new" to me but is it 'cos it's good or just extreme?

https://nyegenyegetapes.bandcamp.com...MYVW96iFeYNNrc

I just played Irsol to my daughter and she said it's "big smasing smashing people"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

did anyone ever listen to the universal indicator innovation in the dynamics of acid megamix? that blew my head off when i first heard it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists