constant escape

winter withered, warm
I believe that everything that is, at this moment, physical and metaphysical, concrete and abstract, can be a highly, highly iterated state of something similar to an algorithm that takes itself as its input and perpetually spits out a more complex version of itself. This proceeds (in various ways, ways that I suspect our studies physics have caught onto, but ways I can hardly claim to understand) through various stages/spheres of emergence, becoming more complex, and attaining an ever more robust means of becoming more complex. And I think capitalism is a heavily bastardized and corrupted, although essentially true, expression of this advancement. Growth-for-its-own-sake allows for faster growth than growth-for-any-other-sake. And I think growth for its own sake is quite recognizably the driver of capitalism.

A dizzying amount of spans between dots to connect here, but I think there is potential to revamp Marxism according to these parameters. And to ensure that our tech doesn't despotically reign over us, but rather enable us to actually live until the cosmic pseudo-algorithm halts.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Well I'm trying to peer into the meta-ideology behind materialism/idealism, the extremities of which spectrum necessarily invalidate each other. If that invalidation wasn't active, it would be an ineffective spectrum.

The question I'm posing here isn't which ideology to uphold, nor even how to synthesize them all, but how to preserve them in parallel with their contradictions intact. That is what I'm trying to get at with all this talk of schizo-this and schizo-that.

vimothy

yurp
economics is interesting bc its an attempt to understand history in precisely these terms - are there models that explain why, for example, GDP, behaves in teh way that it does do.

vimothy

yurp
economics is interesting bc its an attempt to understand history in precisely these terms - are there models that explain why, for example, GDP, behaves in teh way that it does do.
even here consider the effect of the interpretation of economic models describing the evolution of GDP on the evolution of GDP - we think a particular policy will negatively impact growth, so we choose a diff policy. this is not like rock sedimentation.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Right, but it is indicative of an increasingly conscious self-determining system, no? That is, a system whose simulation/model of itself is increasingly robust and reliable.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
its one in which human decision-making is paramount
I think human decision-making can be paramount without being fundamental, no? And I would, within this ideology, agree that human decision-making is crucial, seeing as the human is the pinnacle, thus far, of intelligent matter.

If I made the impression that human agency/decision-making is unimportant, I was merely trying to convey that it isn't fundamental. Just because everything human is superstructural, doesn't mean it is inconsequential, even in important ways.

vimothy

yurp
i think they're synonymous - human decision-making is paramount, fundamental, determinative, whatever. capitalism is a choice. it can be other than this. it has been in the past and it will be in the future.

vimothy

yurp
you could posit the same level of mysticism about democracy. democracy is a runaway process. but democracy depends up its legitimacy amongst the people, and this is not a given.